PDA

View Full Version : AC Charging

mduark
05-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Well the summer is here in the mid atlantic and I tried the AC on the new to me 93 RRC (with 50K miles) and it sort of cooled me down. I wanted to try to recharge it on my own and se it thats all thats needed before taking it to a shop. Bought the R134 charger and alas, it doesn't fit anywhere. Is there another fiting to buy or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Mark

phoenix
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
has the system been converted to r134 or is it still r12? if so you may as well leave it alone and once it does ceases to work due to component failure or damage and or loss of charge, decide if you really want to spend the money for the conversion to r134.
you need to evacuate all the r12, if it failed due to component damage, replace said unit, if due to loss of charge, some guys go the extra expensive way and replace un needed items such as condenser, compressor, dryer and hoses... truth be told if only low on charge and all worked, you need to evacuate, vacuum and chrge as both gasses do not mix. you cannot release r12. it must be recycled and it is no longer available, shops will not pay you for the r12 recovered but last check it some $1,200.00 bucks a pound, a typical rover takes about 2.5 lbs so and r134 conversion is the best way to go.
if it works and cools I would say leave it the "f" alone until it needs to be adressed. btw the conversion does give you the appropiate charge ports so later on you simply top it off.
Carlos...

Well the summer is here in the mid atlantic and I tried the AC on the new to me 93 RRC (with 50K miles) and it sort of cooled me down. I wanted to try to recharge it on my own and se it thats all thats needed before taking it to a shop. Bought the R134 charger and alas, it doesn't fit anywhere. Is there another fiting to buy or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Mark