PDA

View Full Version : Steering box seal replacement

4flattires
05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
And here I thought it would be pretty much a "pop the seal out" situation to remedy a leak, but I guess not. First, the seal on the rocker shaft is really an o-ring, and the green book discusses the "press the bushing" out process (from the inside).

So, after removing the drop arm, it seems pretty clear this seal and retaining washer gets pressed out from the inside.

Anyone care to confirm?

crankin
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Pop it all back on and use the one shot grease that some put in the swivel balls.

primerib
05-31-2012, 07:58 PM
yikes I would also be interested. I am about to get into this problem next... Good luck!

scarter
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
I have found very little leakage with either John Deere Multiluber, or JD Corn Head Grease. I use in both steering box and relay. Designed to stay in, stay fairly thin and coats well at widely variable temperatures, and low cost.

4flattires
06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
That's an option I had not seriously considered, but it might work well. Perhaps my next step will be to slightly pressurize the box and confirm where the leak is. It might just be a gasket or the side cover, and not even the o-ring.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Linus Tremaine
06-01-2012, 11:44 AM
the seal is just an o-ring in a groove. You have to take the shaft out from the other side of the box.

4flattires
06-20-2012, 08:20 PM
For those wanting to tackle this, it's pretty straightforward. I'll avoid a whole writeup but will post a few pics. It was leaking from a loose side cover bolt AND a fried oring.

Nothing goes sproing when you open up the side cover. The new oring pops right in, new gasket and DONE.