PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for place to get Smith Gauges repaired?

PH4
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Any suggestions for place to get Smith Gauges repaired? I have a Smiths mechanical oil and temp gauge with "Land Rover" stamped on it that needs repair. Advice appreciated. Regards,

SafeAirOne
06-03-2012, 12:24 PM
There are probably others out there, but I've never heard of any gauge fixers besides Nisonger: http://www.nisonger.com/

I've never been in a position to need a gauge repaired, but I've read lots of good endorsements for Nisonger.

stomper
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Nissonger seems to be the only place that has ever been recommended. As a side note, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is your temp/oil pressure guage lighted? I keep meaning to take mine out to see if I am just missing the light socket, but I was just curious.

Jim-ME
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
James,
They are supposed to be lit. Ill bet it is the bulb.
Jim

PH4
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Nissonger seems to be the only place that has ever been recommended. As a side note, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is your temp/oil pressure guage lighted? I keep meaning to take mine out to see if I am just missing the light socket, but I was just curious.

Yes it is lighted. Same as Speedometer and other gauges.

stomper
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, Mine doesn't even have any wires connected to it, so it's not the bulb, I need to get a socket, bulb, and then splice the wiring into the other dashboard lighting. glad to know there is at least a hole back there to accept a socket!

Thanks!

stonefox
06-03-2012, 04:49 PM
They quoted me $165 for a repair. I bought a NOS on ebay from Thailand for $110. I just saw one on there the other day.

scarter
06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I used MO-MA, Albequerque, NM. Mrs. Margaret Lucas (owner) has been doing this for 40+ years. I too have the LR-logo mech temp/oil pressure gauge. Came back better than new, their opinion of these being they are superior to Smith's in durability, I guess from their experiences. I think the rebuild was 125-150. Mine needed new bezel, new glass, new face...needed a lot, and I was pleased. My oil pressure capillary tube had also been cut by PO and required replacement. Mine is not illuminated and came out of a '63 2a.

stonefox
06-04-2012, 06:42 AM
The quote (Nosinger)they gave me did not include a new oil capillary tube.

They quoted me $165 for a repair. I bought a NOS on ebay from Thailand for $110. I just saw one on there the other day.

Alaskan Rover
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM

The prices I see floating around here for rebuilding Smith gauges is quite something!

Unless the gauge has sentimental value, take it out, stick it on a shelf and see what a used Smith gaugen the UK used parts market is going to cost. Tons of Series original Series used parts over there! A proper used Land Rover Smith gauge shouldn't run anymore then 25 or 30 pounds, I would think.

Plus check the UK specific version,of Ebay...wway more Rover parts than the US ebay site!!!

stomper
06-05-2012, 06:22 AM
are there issues with air shipping these gauges? I thought I read somewhere that the pressure changes screws up the calibration.