PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi 4DR5 Turbo Diesel on Series III 109' Double Cab

eventhorizon
06-04-2012, 11:00 PM
My 109' in Thailand, has been previously been converted to a Mitsu Turbo Diesel ,gearbox and transfer from Mitsubishi Willy's Jeep. It runs and functions great, but..
Has anybody heard of his conversion before or have any information on this engine? I have not found much info about it online.
Thank you

SafeAirOne
06-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Has anybody heard of his conversion before or have any information on this engine? I have not found much info about it online.

That's one of the engines that powers half a gazillion Mitsubishi/Willy's jeepneys in the Philippines. What info are you looking for?

eventhorizon
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Thank you SafeAirOne,
I figured they might be more common in the Philippines as the search results online returned mostly sites from there.
I am looking for specs such as compression, valve gaps, etc.. Or even better a shop manual for the engine. As well as a source for spares and ideally a parts book.
This is a 4DR5, but it is turbo intercooled. The info I found suggest the turbo came after with the 4DR6 wich had a lower compression.
Im also curious if the 4spd gearbox and T-case components are identical to the jeep 's for upgrades such as OD
This rig is in Thailand where they bring these engines second hand from Japan. I have not had much luck sourcing parts/info there nor in the US.

SafeAirOne
06-05-2012, 08:10 AM
According to this Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Motors_engines), the 4DR models consisted of — Two 2659 cc straight-4 normally aspirated and turbodiesels, 4DR5 and 4DR6, fitted to some Canter light trucks, and also fitted to the company's Jeep which it built under licence from Willys between 1953 and 1998. The naturally aspirated 4DR5 produced from 75 to 80 PS (55 to 59 kW), while the turbocharged and intercooled versions produced a torque of 22.5 kg/m (220.65 Nm) at 2000 RPM and had a compression ratio of 21.5:1, with a maximum power of 100 PS (74 kW) at 3,300 rpm. The direct injected 4DR6 has a lower compression ratio of 17.5 producing a torque of 21.0 kgm (205.94 Nm) at 2000 rpm with a maximum power of 94 PS (69 kW) at 3,500 rpm."

So it sounds as if the indirect-injection 4DR5 came in both normally aspirated and turbocharged models as did the direct-injection 4DR6.

A repair manual for this engine is available at Amazon for $32: http://www.amazon.com/Mistubishi-Diesel-English-Service-Manual/dp/0557044170

A repair and parts manual for this engine along with the transmission is available for $50 at: http://www.lulu.com/shop/james-danko/mitsubishi-jeep-4dr5-diesel-engine-manual-transmission-parts-manual/paperback/product-6519643.html

Alaskan Rover
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I would like to use the same ''Dorman Help one-person Speed Bleeder brake bleeder nipple valves on my clutch slave cylinder that I do on all my wheel cylinders. According to Rovers North, the STANDARD bleed valve fits both the clutch slave and the wheel cylinders.

The one man 'self bleeders' work great on the brake wheel cylinders, making brake bleeding an EASY one man job, so I was hoping to put one on the clutch slabe as well...but so far having problems.

Can.t seem to get f lol uid flowing when the valve is back off the recommended 1/4 tor 1/2 tur

Alaskan Rover
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I would like to use the same ''Dorman Help one-person Speed Bleeder brake bleeder nipple valves on my clutch slave cylinder that I do on all my wheel cylinders. According to Rovers North, the STANDARD bleed valve fits both the clutch slave and the wheel cylinders.

The one man 'self bleeders' work great on the brake wheel cylinders, making brake bleeding an EASY one man job, so I was hoping to put one on the clutch slabe as well...but so far having problems.

Can.t seem to get f lol uid flowing when the valve is back off the recommended 1/4 to 1/2 turm...practicsl lol y have to back tje valve five full turns before fluid moves, somethings amiss.

eventhorizon
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks SafeAirOne,
That's great, really appreciate it. Do you know of any other Series LR with this conversion? Finding a good source for parts still seems to be big one. I don't want to wait till I need something to start searching.
Regard
Roland

SafeAirOne
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I would like to use the same ''Dorman Help one-person Speed Bleeder brake bleeder nipple valves on my clutch slave cylinder.

Either that was the least-subtle thread hijack ever or you accidentally posted in the wrong spot. ;)

That's great, really appreciate it. Do you know of any other Series LR with this conversion? Finding a good source for parts still seems to be big one. I don't want to wait till I need something to start searching.

Up till you posted Roland, I'd never heard of that engine being put in a Rover. It sounds lika an appropriate engine, though. In its NA form it has a little more oomph than a Rover 2.5 diesel and it's gotta be a reliable engine--It's been powering heavy jeepneys for decades now.

I think you'll find the parts have to be sourced primarily from Japan, since it was mostly a 'home market' engine over there. The good news is that they probably produced a ton of them so parts should be available.

eventhorizon
06-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Either that was the least-subtle thread hijack ever or you accidentally posted in the wrong spot. ;)

Yeah, no kiddin' ! :)

Up till you posted Roland, I'd never heard of that engine being put in a Rover. It sounds lika an appropriate engine, though. In its NA form it has a little more oomph than a Rover 2.5 diesel and it's gotta be a reliable engine--It's been powering heavy jeepneys for decades now.

I think you'll find the parts have to be sourced primarily from Japan, since it was mostly a 'home market' engine over there. The good news is that they probably produced a ton of them so parts should be available.

Good to know it's widely used and proven, thank you much for your help.
I was able to find a few parts source in Japan. After seeing you had gotten several search returns and I hadn't, I realized google was re-routing me through google.th and google.tr since I'm out of the states. I guess search result vary depending on server.

I see the engine has more a bit more power, but the gearing is also a bit more reduced throughout. So plenty of torque but its even more of a snail on the road. Wondering if a Willy's overdrive will fit it...

Thanks again.