PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Tops

Jim-ME
05-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a new canvas top. Is there a big enough difference betweena Pro-Line top and a genuine top to justify the additional expense?
Thanks,
Jim

msggunny
05-17-2007, 08:26 PM
I havent had the privedlege of trying the 2 out but if you havent looked at some of the ones that Exmore offers heres the link:

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

Shipping to the US isnt bad either.

scott
05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
i got mine from rn about a year ago. i think i paid ~$400, it fits well, looks good beats the heavy clear vinyl and duct tap one i had

ducttape
05-18-2007, 06:59 AM
i got mine from rn about a year ago. i think i paid ~$400, it fits well, looks good beats the heavy clear vinyl and duct tap one i had

You just used the wrong type of duct tape...

Jeff Aronson
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
I've had one of each top, one from Land Rover and one of the Proline tops from Rovers North.

My Land Rover top was purchased used and it fit quite well over many years of use. I replaced it only when the Land Rover top started to "wick" in heavy rains. I used the Canvas-X product on it and it sealed it up nicely. Still, the windows had clouded up enough for me to seek out a replacement.

I saw the Land Rover tops for sale in England. They were quite well made, had thick windows [or not] and seemed to be well stitched. By the time they arrived in the US, they were rather pricey for me.

I've put a Proline top on each of my two Series II-A's and I have been pleased with them. Again, the windows and stitching were quite good and the canvas felt quite hefty. The fit is generous around the sides and rear tailgate. You need to be careful about tightening up the canvas when it gets wet, and then dries. The canvas will shrink if you let it dry without some stretching over the hoop set and sides.

On the plus side, my Rover is more watertight with the canvas top than it is with the station wagon top!

Jeff

Jim-ME
05-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks to all that replied. Looks like a new Proline top for me when I go to RN next Friday. :)

Pete
05-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey Jim. You wouldn't want to pick up a new galvy frame and some shocks for me while you are there would you?

Pete

jp-
05-21-2007, 09:33 AM
My station wagon tops don't let a drop of water in.

Just last week had the 88" out on a bright sunny day, and then bam! Torrential downpour. I wouldn't have gotten wet at all had I not had the dual AC vents open.