PDA

View Full Version : silly question

dreamin88s
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Though, How do you store your doortop's when your away from the house and you would like to take them off ?

jonnyc
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I have just laid them in the back with a blanket around and under them.

SafeAirOne
06-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I drive around all summer with the nuts removed from the doortop studs and the doortops just sitting in place. Whenever I get the inclination I just pull them and lay them in the rear tub. My 109 is a blue-collar daily-driving rover, not a show truck so I don't really sweat it if the tops rattle around a a tiny bit back there.

If I was worried about the doortops, I'd just build and carry a bag to hold them and bungee them to the rear bulkhead.

Tim Smith
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Herb Zipkin had a nice set up with his 109. Basically, he had receiving tubes mounted to the side of his trick so he could remove the door tops and mount them to the back. Probably a bit more involved than you wanted but it certainly was clever. I just use a blanket to wrap them like jonnyc said. There are special bags you can get for them too. I'm sure our hosts have them.

jac04
06-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I have Badger Coachworks door tops, and they came with a nice storage bag. I just put them in the bag & lay them in the back.
However, I've been thinking about making a storage 'rack' for them. My thought was a piece of 4x4 that is bolted to the tub (somewhere, not sure where yet). The 4x4 would have holes drilled in it for the door top studs. Just pull the door tops off and put them in the rack.

TeriAnn
06-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Herb Zipkin had a nice set up with his 109. Basically, he had receiving tubes mounted to the side of his trick so he could remove the door tops and mount them to the back. Probably a bit more involved than you wanted but it certainly was clever.

Herbert made a lot of modifications and additions for long distance camera safari travel and one was external door top mounts. The bottom mount as shown is basically a tube and the top mount is a rubber buffer to keep the door top from rattling against the side of the truck.

artpeck
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
For what it is worth my defender has a decal calling out to remove the door tops from the vehicle. I asked a friend about this who lives in south Africa where there is an abundance of defenders and the issue is that they become dangerous, maiming projectiles in the event of an accident. That said I can't imagine my series going fast enough for anything to become a dangerous maiming projectile....

PH4
06-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately, I have had to deal with the issues of flying projectiles before. It does not take much speed at all. Put anything and everything with even a little weight behind storage guard or strap it down to be on safe side.

greenmeanie
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
On an ex Siss Army SIIA. Not an original mod but works very well.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/greenmeanie101/Morges%20car%20show%202011/IMG_0574.jpg