PDA

View Full Version : SIII wiper motor parking

pitchrollyaw
06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Anyone here know if the SIII wiper motors are 'coast to park' or 'dynamic park'? They take different switches. I think I can figure it out by which leads have power when the switch is off but was hoping someone has a better answer.

I am looking for a replacement for the hard to find, expensive and fragile OEM switch.

Thanks, w

slorocco
06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone here know if the SIII wiper motors are 'coast to park' or 'dynamic park'? They take different switches. I think I can figure it out by which leads have power when the switch is off but was hoping someone has a better answer.

I am looking for a replacement for the hard to find, expensive and fragile OEM switch.

Thanks, w

Not sure I know what those two terms mean. I have a '81 Series III. My wipers just stay where ever they happen to be when you turn the switch off.

mearstrae
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
The wipers on my '76 SIII always park when turned off. From what I remember of the circuit, it has a continuous hot wire (positive)and a switched hot wire (also positive) and of course a ground (earth). The switched hot wire runs the wipers and the continuous hot parks the wipers. I don't know if this is a feature on all the wiper motors though. There are other aftermarket switches available that aren't so fragile and a lot cheaper, check with the local auto parts stores.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

pitchrollyaw
06-11-2012, 02:00 PM
thanks.

I am planning on getting a Cole-Hersee rotary & push from these folks once I figure out which one I need. I have their washer reservoir and pump in the car and am pretty happy w/ them. Quality parts, much better flow than stock and they have a period look.

http://www.amequipment.com/

w

cedryck
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I do not believe series 2a wiper motors will park they have that little do it yourself lever, which I love.

PH4
06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
The wipers on my 1972 IIA go back and park in the original position when I cut off. The independent wipers on my 1962 IIA stop wherever they happen to be when the switch is cut off. Hope this helps.

John O from Jersey
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
OK, not to hi-jack but this thread reminds me of a question I've always had. My Late IIA has the single wiper motor with a three position switch. You can turn them on (obviously), when you go to off they just stop wherever they are and then there's another position that returns them to the "park" position. My question has always been, does it matter where you leave the switch once you "park" the wipers?? I'm wondering if leaving it in the "park" position somehow leaves something hot. Anyone know???

JO