PDA

View Full Version : Choke Cable

JHK07
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I had an electrical short (almost a fire ) in my engine bay and ever since my choke cable has been stuck, will not move. I am not all to familiar with a choke cable, but it seems as though the inner cable has some how fused (welded) itself to the outer metal sheath.

Can I get away with a "general replacement" ???

Thanks

stomper
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I have a general choke cable from Napa on mine, works fine.

jonnyc
06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Yup, you welded it. Our hosts probably have the correct replacement for it.

SafeAirOne
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM
You can use a generic cable but note that you will not have the section that actuates the "cold start" lamp when the choke is in use.

mearstrae
06-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I've used the generic cable also, but be sure to pull the cable out and put high temp grease into the spring-like housing, to prevent future problems with sticking. I've also used generic $5 lawn mower throttle cables to repair my SIII heater controls, actually the design worked better than the originals.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

73series88
06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
yeh 5 bucks from autozone
aaron

leafsprung
06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I like the stock choke cable esp on the SI,SII, SIIA. Its so nicely made and the warning lamp feature is cool.

JHK07
06-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Ok .... two replies about the cold start lamp. Never seen that before...... Are you guys talking about a diesel ? Anyway, thanks for the replies. I will probably go the cheap route, plus I did not see the part on our hosts site.

east high
06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
The warning light is attached to the carb end of the choke cable and illuminates a light in the dash to remind you the choke is on.

Tsmith
06-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I would also ask why it welded itself. If the cable that grounds the chassis to the engine is frayed, missing or the attachemnt point corroded, the load from the starter will find another path, perhaps your choke cable. I would replace the ground cable as well.

east high
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Ugh. Nvm.

JHK07
06-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I would also ask why it welded itself. If the cable that grounds the chassis to the engine is frayed, missing or the attachemnt point corroded, the load from the starter will find another path, perhaps your choke cable. I would replace the ground cable as well.

I don't know what happened. I let a girl start my truck after I had about 10 beers. She comes back into the Pub and says I can't get it to start and I smell something burning. I go out and it starts right up. I thought she was ate up, but she said she saw smoke coming out of the dash. Next morning I pop the hood, I have 2 wires coming off the positive battery post that are just fried... like 2 feet worth of fried. Brake switch no longer works, and choke cable is welded. I have since fixed brake switch (now not original).

she did tell me she held the key over to the right and tried to start it like a normal vehicle, instead of the push button. I don't know why that would make it burn......

knac1234
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but the choke light was mentioned.

It is the only thing not working on my truck----and it did prior to my light resto last year. Any idea how to get it to work? Not the bulb or the wiring. A part is clipped onto the choke cable, but I don't know how it works.

Thanks,
Julian

Partsman
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM
This is the search on our host's site for choke cables: http://www.roversnorth.com/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=choke

And this is the one I have on my Rover: http://www.roversnorth.com/p-14187-choke-cable-late-ser-iia.aspx