PDA

View Full Version : The Birmabright Brotherhood is back!

crankin
06-13-2012, 10:47 AM

For those of you are not familiar with the Brotherhood, it is a list of Land Rover owners that are willing and able to help fellow Land Rover owners in the event of a breakdown or other emergency while traveling far from home.

We are not prejudice with our Brothers; we accept all makes and models of Land Rovers.

What it is not, however, is a bulletin board, message board, classified ad space or chat room...There are lots of other places for that sort of thing. What it is, simply and profoundly, is a list of members that are willing to help fellow members in their time of need.

We have tried to make this your one stop go to shop for all your Land Rover traveling needs.
What are you waiting for? Take the vow, join the brotherhood! (http://birmabrightbrotherhood.com/)

amcordo
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Is it a cult?

crankin
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
No more than ColumbUS.

amcordo
06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Touche. Great job on the website though! Looks fantastic!

Alaskan Rover
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Sounds great...I'm game.

I've driven across the continent multiple times in my venerable rover, both the US route and the Canadian route....and have completed numerous forays into thr Yukon Territory and the Nortwrst Territories, so I'd learned early on that road trips in a vintage Rover can turn first to an excursion and finally to a nearly biblical odyssey. Multiple breakdowns often become catalytic to such odyssey-like proportions.

Anyway, I've found that while on road trips, Series Rovers seem.bb to 'collect' other Series owners or former owners who, when they see a
an old rover on the side of the road with its owner's head under the hood, are willing to syop and lend a hand in any way they can. I've been under the hood on various sides of roads in many different circumstances, such comes with the ownership (truly more like a marriage) of a forty-plus year old vehicle, and I've been helped by countless present and former rover pepple...even to the extant of been offered their spare room or yard for camping in while repairs are underway.UT

Thus, the Vintage Series rover family goes far beyond the obligstory hand wave.

I find- however, that Discovery/Range Rover owners that have no Series vehicles nor ever did, are automatically excluded from the vintage rover-driving 'family', as they drive entirely different vehicles of comfort and have no concept of the tribulations and also incredible joy of vintage Series rover travel...I don't really have a problem with such exclusion- and would never expect a wave from a Disco or Rangie owner, unless like many HERE, they also own a Series.

But so many of the others, those Disco/Range Rover owners who aren't part of these forums, are completely oblivious to a Series rover or even a Defender, and wouldn't know one from a Ford Explorer.

But for those of us that are automatically part of The Family by way of vntage Rover travel, a list of like-minded vintage Rover owners in various regions is a great advantage....I've kept my own such 'cross-country' lists for for years!!!

crankin
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Touche. Great job on the website though! Looks fantastic!

Thanks Tony!

martindktm
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Application done for me.

Revtor
06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
On G&R, grill badges look like they're being made up..

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?1406-Birmabright-Brotherhood/page14

crankin
06-13-2012, 09:06 PM
What I am planning on doing is let the membership grow a bit...Then I will send out a big mass mail to the members announcing that we have grille badges and we will do a pre-order on them.

Rat Patrol
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
sounds good to me. theres not much around here...ask anyone who traveled the oregon/california trail ;-)

Lord Icon
06-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I joined as well. Just kinda surprised that only one other is listed in the WHOLE state of NH....

1973 exmod SIII 88 George the third
2001 P38a winched and bumpered but no name...yet

stomper
06-16-2012, 06:10 AM
I want to start off by saying this is a well thought out and awesome site. You did a fantastic job Crankin! I think this will bring the brotherhood into the 21st century. I am surprised there isn't anyone listed in Vermont yet! Out of curiosity, are we encouraging places like Rovers North to sign up? I know this isn't an advertising space, but they are certainly willing to lend assistance in a number of ways for us "Roverfolk".

ThePhotographer
06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
I want to start off by saying this is a well thought out and awesome site. You did a fantastic job Crankin! I think this will bring the brotherhood into the 21st century. I am surprised there isn't anyone listed in Vermont yet! Out of curiosity, are we encouraging places like Rovers North to sign up? I know this isn't an advertising space, but they are certainly willing to lend assistance in a number of ways for us "Roverfolk".

We at Rovers North have not left this thread un-read. We are all for the Birmabright Brotherhood and we'll be speaking with Clint shortly...

Cheers,
ZG

slorocco
06-19-2012, 06:56 AM
It's great to see the list alive again. Love the new features. Hopefully it will get well populated. BTW, I'm in for a grill badge or two when you get them made up.

crankin
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
It's great to see the list alive again. Love the new features. Hopefully it will get well populated. BTW, I'm in for a grill badge or two when you get them made up.

Thanks,
Roger on that grille badge. Working on them now.

crankin
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
We have hit 200 members (well, actually 201) throughout the United States and Canada!

It appears that Josh has all of Alaska covered So, if you live the in the Alaska area, get out there and register to help a brother out! Even if you don't live in Alaska you should register. :D

bmohan55
06-27-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm in....although considering the luck I've had with my truck proceed with caution!

CRiordan01
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
My application is in as well and I am game for a grill badge and decals

martindktm
06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
I also would like a badge and/or sticker.

rover whit
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Great looking site and great communal idea. Although I am not a series owner, yet, (in the process of finding one), I am more than happy to help anyway I can. In my opinion at the very least it is a learning experience and an opportunity to meet people. Thanks.

crankin
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Great looking site and great communal idea. Although I am not a series owner, yet, (in the process of finding one), I am more than happy to help anyway I can. In my opinion at the very least it is a learning experience and an opportunity to meet people. Thanks.

Its not just for series owners...any rover will do.

Jazzop
06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I find- however, that Discovery/Range Rover owners that have no Series vehicles nor ever did, are automatically excluded from the vintage rover-driving 'family', as they drive entirely different vehicles of comfort and have no concept of the tribulations and also incredible joy of vintage Series rover travel...I don't really have a problem with such exclusion- and would never expect a wave from a Disco or Rangie owner, unless like many HERE, they also own a Series.

But so many of the others, those Disco/Range Rover owners who aren't part of these forums, are completely oblivious to a Series rover or even a Defender, and wouldn't know one from a Ford Explorer.

Ditto.

For this reason, and because the "Brotherhood" fails to make such an important distinction, I will remain a non-member.

antichrist
06-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Ditto.

For this reason, and because the "Brotherhood" fails to make such an important distinction, I will remain a non-member.Well, you always have the option, if it's that important to you and if contacted, of looking the person up and if they don't have a series replying, "Sorry, I'm out of town".

crankin
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Ditto.

For this reason, and because the "Brotherhood" fails to make such an important distinction, I will remain a non-member.

You are not obligated to help anyone out. But, if the shoe was on the other foot and you were away from home and broke down on the side of the road, wouldn't you want some help? Another group, that I am a member of, tells me to leave our pride at the door and that I am no better than anyone to my left or my right. That's hard to do at times...but, its served me well throughout this young life.

The list is made up of people that have an interest in Land Rovers and just like my local Land Rover club, I am often times the only series that pops up. And when I break down each one of those guys are there to help me out...so, I don't have any problem with the other Land Rover guys. I feel sorry for the disco guys who bought a $35k rigs in 2000 to have it have leaky sills, wild sensors, and heated seats that tend to catch on fire. We knew what we where getting with our series, they didn't, and yet they still "bleed green". Yes, there are stereotypes, some disco owners are red necks or skaters, Defenders are pricks, rangies are yuppies....what are we? Hillbillys, lumber jacks, sadomasochistic?

But, in saying all this, I am that guy that turns around to help push that lady with the hood up in the middle of the road to a safer place, offering my cell phone or a ride somewhere. I don't offer conditional help, but that is what my folks taught me. I guess some people just drive on by...

Ncrover725
06-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Crankin,
You can never make every one happy. I think you are doing a great thing. I have a D1 and Series rover and have needed help with both. I have been lucky to have been helped in both. In pay back I will always help others regardless of what they drive. Thanks for your action in getting the brotherhood stood back up.

Bobby

crankin
06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks Bobby. ;)

ThePhotographer
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Let's not forget that there are not always as many options as one would hope. I personally spent several months looking for a Defender, only to realize later that I wouldn't be able to afford one in the condition I was hoping for. At my age(22), options aren't limitless; I had a budget and I got a DII. I still love Land Rovers as much as others, and have way more respect for a Series or Defender than my DII as far as being a true "Land Rover". I would be happy to help a Series owner in distress, just as much, if not more than a Disco/Rangie. I haven't traveled everywhere and I don't know where you all live, but I see about 3 LR/RRs a week. There are too few of us enthusiasts to discriminate based on vehicle.

4flattires
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm in.....again.

Admins....sounds worthy of a sticky....eh?

1961 109 WAGON
07-11-2012, 07:09 PM
I own two series 2 trucks and a range rover L332. I know what you mean because when I see range rover owners like mine , they tend not to wave or have any idea what my old series truck is as it drives by them.
I tried to register clint, but it keeps saying my security code is invalid????

crankin
07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
I own two series 2 trucks and a range rover L332. I know what you mean because when I see range rover owners like mine , they tend not to wave or have any idea what my old series truck is as it drives by them.
I tried to register clint, but it keeps saying my security code is invalid????

Nathan, I got your email...and sent you an email with what the form has in it. We will do it the old fashion way for you seeing how you are having some troubles.

CRiordan01
08-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Clint - Fantastic job on the badge. Finally got my affixed today. Thought I would share a photo of the badge for folks who haven't seen it - they will surely want one! Now if only my grill were as robust as this badge...

crankin
08-17-2012, 10:28 PM
oh that's pretty!

parrie
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Several days ago I made an attempt to join the brotherhood...the site said that I would receive an email and had to activate the account through said email but I never recieved an email. Should I try again?

DiscoSux
02-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I just signed up! I'm hoping to get my admin approval soon and get my rigs badged. ;-)

crankin
02-12-2014, 10:23 PM
OK. Hold on.

elmateorino
02-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Just joined, what a great resource!

frans
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Clint - Fantastic job on the badge. Finally got my affixed today. Thought I would share a photo of the badge for folks who haven't seen it - they will surely want one! Now if only my grill were as robust as this badge...
Thats a good looking badge. Just joined and looking forward to getting one of my own- and maybe helping out a rover owner in need at some point
frans

dwooten1401
02-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Joined. Waiting for admin approval. Love this idea!

-- Doug Wooten / Wreckless Motorsports

Belkcoyote
02-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I just ordered my badge. Cannot wait to put it on my landy.
Cheers
Pat

mrmoose
11-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Looking to sign up for this group, What a good idea. I'm all for it.

Les Parker
11-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Signed up. Maybe meet some of the folks on here when we do our cross country trip in 2020. See Linkinglincolns

https://www.facebook.com/linkinglincolns/

erik88lr
11-20-2016, 08:19 AM
I guess I'll have to rejoin. I was a member of the earlier incarnation of the BB.

It's been 15 or 20 years, but I remember being contacted by another member who broke down about a 2½ hour drive from me near Augusta, Ga. A couple had just purchased a right hand drive 109 in South Carolina and the clutch hydraulics gave up the ghost. I spent much of the day with them, got them going, and they made it home to California. They sent me a nice fruit basket. :)

~erik~

wrighthm
08-05-2019, 09:07 PM
I've been puttering around the internet for all my old used Rover parts suppliers (no longer available body stuff like tubs etc ). Seems series rover salvagers are all but gone, even the old club forums from just a few years ago. Now as I continue down the search hole, I thought I would check the birmabright brotherhood list to see if I'm still on there and whamo, another one seems to be for the past. I'm only 29 and I'm way too young to feel lost in the past. Seems Instagram has ruined the picture/talk forums, anyone know the state of the brotherhood?