PDA

View Full Version : Help with removing bolt

widerberg
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi, All:

This is both weird (to me) and embarrassing. I'm trying to remove my Series III's front passenger door and only three of the bolts on the lower hinge want to come out. The last, the bottom one, will only turn happily in place, but no matter what I do (putting pressure on it while trying to unscrew, etc.) it won't come out. Anyone run into this before? What's the best (least invasive way) to get this thing out?

New bolts (Part#: RNC908) are about $3.50 from our hosts, so destroying the bolt wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer to get it out intact. Mostly, I just want it out period :D

Many thanks for any words of wisdom!

Bo

leafsprung
06-13-2012, 02:06 PM
The captive nut is damaged. Your best bet is to drill off the head using 5/16 drill. Once the hinge is off you will be able to repair the captive nut and replace the bolt

Hi, All:

This is both weird (to me) and embarrassing. I'm trying to remove my Series III's front passenger door and only three of the bolts on the lower hinge want to come out. The last, the bottom one, will only turn happily in place, but no matter what I do (putting pressure on it while trying to unscrew, etc.) it won't come out. Anyone run into this before? What's the best (least invasive way) to get this thing out?

New bolts (Part#: RNC908) are about $3.50 from our hosts, so destroying the bolt wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer to get it out intact. Mostly, I just want it out period :D

Many thanks for any words of wisdom!

Bo

giftshopduane
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Aren't they nutted?

giftshopduane
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
The captive nut is damaged. Your best bet is to drill off the head using 5/16 drill. Once the hinge is off you will be able to repair the captive nut and replace the bolt

+1!

siii8873
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
+1!

On a SIII the door side of the hinge has bolts / nuts, but the bulkhead is a bolt and captive nut.

If it will not pull out with a little pursuation with the other 3 removed, drilling is the way.

crankin
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Like so:

widerberg
06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi, All:

Thanks so much for the quick and excellent advice! I had a brain fade when I typed up the post. It is, in fact, the bulkhead side, so the captive nut is probably the culprit based on what it's doing and your descriptions. Stinks to have to drill out the bolt, but so be it, and now I have an excuse to buy a shiny new one :)

Thanks all!

Bo

bkreutz
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Don't forget to order a new captive nut at the same time. (I'd replace both of them, if one fails the other one is probably not far behind)

SafeAirOne
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm away from the 109 at the moment, so I can't check--Is there enough room to reach up into the doorpost from the bottom with a screwdriver and jam up that captive nut to prevent it from spinning? I think you said it is the bottom one on the lower hinge?

gudjeon
06-14-2012, 01:37 PM
If it is rusted enough to turn the captive nut, it is probably rusted so that keeping it from turning by jamming something against it won't help. You could try, but, I think you will end up drilling it out.

SafeAirOne
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
If it is rusted enough to turn the captive nut, it is probably rusted so that keeping it from turning by jamming something against it won't help.

I'm an optimist. ;)

gudjeon
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
I always hope for the best, but expect the worst.