PDA

View Full Version : How to price a Series IIa for sale?

1971Series88
06-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone, I am going to sell my 88" (wifes orders - I have too many toys) - and given the time, effort and money - knowing you never get what you paid/put in to the vehicle I am wondering how folks price them? Of course with a truck that is able to be used as a daily driver, with little/no rust to worry about I know it is worth more than $5K given those that sell for between $1K-$5K...but that is where my research ends. It has about 31xxx ORIGINAL MILES - and shows like it.

I have looked on here - and other sites - and seen vehicles that seem to be in the same condition sell up to $10K, while others sell for say $6K. Obviously I know there are still others that go over $15K - but they seem to be "restored". So here is the info on mine:

1971 Series IIa
- Softop
- "Deluxe" interior in good shape
- no rust to speak of - front right frame horn could be replaced (I have a new one for it) at some time - not necessary yet
- Weber 2 barrel conversion carb
- newer (last 4yrs) stainless exhaust

NON Molested otherwise....meaning it is pretty much in original condition with the stated mileage.
Only issue to speak of is the Oil Pressure gauge doesn't work - the green light does though.

Any help appreciated - As long as I keep telling her "it is for sale" I am good...so no hurry.

CHEERS!!

Rat Patrol
06-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I paid $10k for my 73 88 soft top with 40k miles six or seven years ago. the shear numbers of photos and communications with seller is what sold me. i must have a 100 photo of every silly little detail or in response to questions.

not sure my response is what you were looking for but you asked;-)

jac04
06-14-2012, 07:41 AM
NON Molested otherwise....meaning it is pretty much in original condition with the stated mileage.

No idea what it's actually worth, but "non molested otherwise" may mean different things to different people. I remember that you wire-wheeled & repainted the chassis and you spray-painted some body panels. This may detract from the value to some people, while add to the value for others.

I say put together a comprehensive list of all work done to the vehicle, then post it in the classifieds with a bunch of pictures - especially detailed pictures of all the usual problem areas. Put a price on it that you are comfortable with, and see where it goes.

Remember that sometimes the market won't bear your asking price and that's OK, you are not obligated to sell just because you have posted it for sale. IMO, as a seller who is not forced to sell, you should never be disappointed or unhappy with the selling price of a vehicle. When the deal is done you should be thinking that you got a fair price, and the buyer should be thinking the same thing.

cedryck
06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
There used to be a guy from VT who would value appraise your truck. I think he was the old DAP owner. cheers.

Terrys
06-15-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm sure your wife is a very nice person, and perhaps you might be better able to place her in a new home.

stonefox
06-15-2012, 05:46 AM
LOL!!
I'm sure your wife is a very nice person, and perhaps you might be better able to place her in a new home.

1971Series88
06-15-2012, 09:22 AM
That is funny Terry!

But with 4 Rovers, a 69 Olds Cutlass convert, two motorcycles, a 4x4 golf cart, an ATV and two boats I am nearly (no I am) maxed out with her patience for toys...

o2batsea
06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Craig, Pedro will pay you way too much and try to hide it from his wife by parking it in his minuscule back yard with a tarp over it.

By the way I have over thirty internal combustion engines to look after, so your wife needs a bit more perspective.

1971Series88
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
yeah but Bill you also have a nice little retreat with a kick ass shed - AND a bloody tractor! Not to mention your other toys like the log splitter! HEHE....

I am going to put it up on eBay when I get back...it seems like the $$$$ are all there.