PDA

View Full Version : Storing the Hard Top

dreddub
06-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Ok guys that like the wind, what do you do with your hard top?

More specifically, I've got an new to me '68 Series IIA with the plane jane hardtop (no extra windows, no safari, etc) that, other than a few dents that could probably be pushed out easily, is in good shape. It came with the ragtop, too; however, and that's what I really want. So, this weekend I'll be removing the hardtop semi-permanently.

I live in FL, so there's no basement and also with the HOA, there's no way to put it outside. So, I'm thinking I want to put it on a lift in the garage. Just worried about the weight of it, but I understand they're not too heavy. Anyone know what it weighs? Anyone storing their hard top on a garage lift? The only other problem is that most of the lifts I've seen are for up to 4 ft. wide. Will have to search for a 5 ft, or modify one.

One last question is if I'm sure I'm going to keep my ride a soft top, what's a ballpark range for what one of these is worth?

Alright guys, thanks in advance, time to go out and get the wind flowing through the rover.:cool:

EW

stomper
06-16-2012, 05:55 AM
hard tops weigh around 80#. build your own lift out of nylon rope and some hardware pulleys. Much cheaper. If you are considering it being semi-permanent removal, I would unbolt the sides from the top, and store it in the side of the garage. It will take up less space, be ready for shipping if you sell it, and you will still be able to fit the truck in the garage with the soft top on.

Billy5
06-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Just took mine off last week end. My wife and I lifted it. What I failed to realize is that the side will bow just a tad when lifted off the bolts. I scripted the hell out of the side ( first time taking it off). But its a rover and scratches are ok..lol. and I know how to paint. I stored mine in my garage. My neighbor works for a canvas shop and is making me a top. The best part of driving with no top? Its quiet because the wind noise drowns out the gear noise..lol..:)
Billy

Rat Patrol
06-16-2012, 09:00 AM
You are lucky....I sold my canvas top when we found the Tropi top....tooo cold 7 months of the year here so I figured why keep it....now its going to be 85ish this weekend.

dreddub
06-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Wow! Can't believe that big hunk of metal only weighs 80lbs. With it being that light I'll just do another hand cranked winch with nylon rope as suggested and like I've got for my car top box. Breaking the sides down sounds good too. Really can't say I'd want it back on, but don't want to sell it just yet... thinking maybe if I decide I hate this thing in 12 mos, it will sell better with both options.

The way I see my Rover developing is as a beach buggy. Want to have the soft top and the interior designed for hosing out (maybe rhino lining). I'm going to get a roll bar fabbed for it and am considering having the roll bar to the size and shape of the hoodsticks (but mounted with a sandwich plate through the tub and then diagonally into the frame) to simply replace them. Problem then however is having to remove the roll bar for hard top... Roll bar inside the hoodsticks just seems redundant. Again, for me, I just can't see the purpose of a hard top as this will be a sunny day, top rolled up, no door toppers kind of vehicle. Maybe I should just sell it and get it over with.

Dreddub

bfishel60
06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
I swap my hardtop out with the canvas every now and then. Have you given any thought to the seatbelt shoulder mount?
Bill Fishel

stomper
06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Seatbelts? what are those! :)

Rat Patrol
06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
A roll cage is a very good idea if you have kidos. After a year in El Piso Texas I installed one....not because of the desert terrain either.

NLA
06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
If you break it down, the big "J" shaped hooks used to store ladders work great for hanging the top against the garage wall. The inside edge of the hardtop helps it hang securely from the ladder hook. Get hooks with plastic caps to limit scratching. Mount eye bolts on the wall above and below the hardtop so you can use straps or ropes to snug it to the wall.

I used three ladder hooks to store my plain 109 top for a couple years during truck rebuild. I mounted it high on the wall to allow floor clutter (storage) down below. Without the sides I can lift the top onto the wall by myself - of course, I am 6'7" and have an armspan of an orangutan.

Michael

cedryck
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I prefer to use the time testes lean it against the shed method, outside of my small garage, passenger side in of course the keep the elements of the headliner. Most tops are much easier to remove with the help of any trusted rover mate, although they will have to set the beer down to use the other hand. Widow tops with sliding new glass and glazing stay inside shed, comfy and dry. Cheers.

blue bomber
06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I would like to share a few images of how I store my roof top tent . Just ratchet straps to the rafters. I suppose you could do this with a hard top if the sides were removed. Also a couple of shots of the roll cage that I have in my rig. 6691669266936694669566966697

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue bomber
06-23-2012, 09:46 AM

This is an old image of the cage but it is the best one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutter
06-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I ratchet my 109 roof/sides like that in my garage. Very handy, makes swapping it a 1 person job that I can do in 20 minutes.

Alaskan Rover
06-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow! Can't believe that big hunk of metal only weighs 80lbs. With it being that light I'll just do another hand cranked winch with nylon rope as suggested and like I've got for my car top box. Breaking the sides down sounds good too. Really can't say I'd want it back on, but don't want to sell it just yet... thinking maybe if I decide I hate this thing in 12 mos, it will sell better with both options.

The way I see my Rover developing is as a beach buggy. Want to have the soft top and the interior designed for hosing out (maybe rhino lining). I'm going to get a roll bar fabbed for it and am considering having the roll bar to the size and shape of the hoodsticks (but mounted with a sandwich plate through the tub and then diagonally into the frame) to simply replace them. Problem then however is having to remove the roll bar for hard top... Roll bar inside the hoodsticks just seems redundant. Again, for me, I just can't see the purpose of a hard top as this will be a sunny day, top rolled up, no door toppers kind of vehicle. Maybe I should just sell it and get it over with.

Dreddub

Beach buggy Rover?

Cool...but remember, permanent beach duty is a good way to kill a good rover. Wrangler's work better in this regard because they are disposable anyway....although also in my experience, a rover will way outdo a Wrangler in the sand.

If you do put your rover on beach patrol, just make sure you wash the frame and underpinnings down OFten with fresh water. And make sure you get at where the rear box meets the frame....if properly set up, the rear box should actually rest just ABOVE the frame, not right on top of it. I had to completely rebuild my rear box with bew galvanized crossmembers just to make it so...when i was finished, the rear box rested just above the drame on the box risers, just pike in the factory.

As for top...i've found a large tree with stout overhanging limb works best. I through a block and tackle over the limb with at least 4 to 1 purchase, and hoist the top easily.

I don't know where someone came up with a mere 80 lbs...maybe 80 kiligrams!!. My 'county' edition top weighed at lEASt 150 pounds and mwybe more like a very awkward 200 pounds. I suppose a non-county cap, without the sliding windows WIll way considerably less.

ducttape
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
This might be a good spot then: I'd like to store my 88 hardtop on YOUR truck. Anyone want to buy one? Sides, latch and swing up gate, pretty reasonable shape.