PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure

Bertha
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
While there are a ton of threads on what tires to use, I couldnt find anything on what tire pressures people are running with on there modern tires today. Obviously, the factory recommended pressures, no longer apply since no one is running bias ply tires anymore. I just bought a set of new tires and had them mounted on my 16" rims. When I checked the pressure that the shop set them at, I was shocked to see it was 60lbs. It appears the tire is rated up to 80lbs. I have never looked/noticed this before.

SafeAirOne
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I had a place do this to me too. 50psi all around because that's what it says the max pressure is on the side of the tire!

I've used the chalk-across-the-tread (later the paint-across-the-tread) method to determine that my 109 pickup with 2.5 diesel and pickup cab on 235-85-16s needs 34psi front and 32psi rear when empty.

There are so many variables and configurations possible with these rovers that it's probably best to determine your individual rover's tire pressure requirements.

gudjeon
06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
The truck radials used commonly today can have a high maximum pressure rating so they don't flex under load. Maximum pressure is for the maximum loading figure as air pressure is used to keep the tire from flexing, and heating. Old stiff bias tire construction used to take care of loading. While I don't think you will use this limit on a LR, I run around 40 psi all around on an 88 with LT Radials. You can keep an eye on contact pattern and wear to see if you need more/less. Too little inflation may make the tire still look OK, but steering will be stiffer.

TeriAnn
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I mostly use the WAG method for determining tyre pressures on my heavy 109 Dormobile.

For most driving my tyres are kept at 45 lbs rear and 40 lbs front. All the British car specs I have seen tend to spec the front tyre air pressure at about 4 lbs less than the rears. And my truck weighs about 150 lbs more at the rear wheels than the front wheels. I tend to air down to 20 lbs on the trail and air up to 50 and 45 lbs pressure for long distance freeway drives where I'm looking for best fuel mileage.

This is a semi educated WAG and not based upon actual testing & factory specs. But I have weighed my front and rear axle weights so I know how much weight my tyres are carrying.