PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmic ticking sound

gentilepiano
06-20-2012, 06:23 AM
My series 3 has a 5 main bearing 2 1/4 gas engine. The engine was overhauled with new pistons, valves, water pump, etc. a couple of years ago. I recently changed the oil, and adjusted the valves and when idling sounds as it should. When I increase the rpm a rhythmic clicking can be heard. it sounds like it is coming from the engine front. maybe the timing chain. The engine has plenty of power and runs smooth. The clicking sounds like(click-click-click-pause-click-click-click-pause etc) any thoughts???

stomper
06-20-2012, 06:25 AM
A bomb attached to a lucas clock?

4flattires
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Is this vehicle used regularly?
Did this just start?

Use the backyard engine stethoscope and determine the source of the noise. Place a long screwdriver on various engine parts and place your ear on the handle. Note the various sounds. Avoid humming and making up words to your newfound song.

Naturally, have someone hold your frosty beverage when doing this.

jonnyc
06-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Any ticking sounds I've ever had were exhaust leak, valve rockers, or timing-chain tensioner. Best of luck.

amcordo
06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
My ride ticks. It comes from something inside the transmission for me.

Good story me.

willincalgary
06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I once over tightened my valve cover and managed to get a minor knock from the top-front of the engine. More of a knock then a tick.

east high
06-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I once over tightened my valve cover and managed to get a minor knock from the top-front of the engine. More of a knock then a tick.

This happens to me all the time. Almost like a ghetto torque spec for the valve cover.

slorocco
06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

When I first got my 109 the previous owner claimed that was the cause of the noise coming from the engine. It wasn't. Drove it like that for a few years and nobody could figure out the cause.

To make a long story short, I finally determined to find the cause and started pulling things apart. Final verdict: Cam gear had worked loose on the front of the cam. Everytime a lifter would reach the peak of a cam lobe the cam would snap forward a bit. One of the additional symptoms was the that associated vibrations were tearing up distributors left and right.

Probably not a common occurence and am hoping that is not the case with your truck.

cedryck
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
valves that need adjustment can sound loud, just a thought. cheers mate.

mearstrae
06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
On one of my vehicles, the ticking in front, was a bad bearing in the alternator. Just a thought...

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

willincalgary
06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
When I first got my 109 the previous owner claimed that was the cause of the noise coming from the engine. It wasn't. Drove it like that for a few years and nobody could figure out the cause.

To make a long story short, I finally determined to find the cause and started pulling things apart. Final verdict: Cam gear had worked loose on the front of the cam. Everytime a lifter would reach the peak of a cam lobe the cam would snap forward a bit. One of the additional symptoms was the that associated vibrations were tearing up distributors left and right.

Probably not a common occurence and am hoping that is not the case with your truck.

I could tighten and loosen the valve cover fixings and the knock would come and go. Only completely convinced myself when I took the cover off entirely and the engine sounded perfect.

Totally a ghetto torque spec!

gentilepiano
06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I readjusted the valves while hot and to spec.
No change.
With a broomstick I listened to every part for the engine, including the block (everywhere) the timing chain enclosure, the alternator, waterpump, the head, everywhere!! The clicking seems to be coming from the thermostat housing(very loud). Impossible, but I drained the radiator,removed the thermostat, nothing loose, put it all back together, and it clicks as it did before.
Any ideas?????

SafeAirOne
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Does it happen when the engine is cold?

crankin
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I readjusted the valves while hot and to spec.
No change.
With a broomstick I listened to every part for the engine, including the block (everywhere) the timing chain enclosure, the alternator, waterpump, the head, everywhere!! The clicking seems to be coming from the thermostat housing(very loud). Impossible, but I drained the radiator,removed the thermostat, nothing loose, put it all back together, and it clicks as it did before.
Any ideas?????

You shouldn't have to drain your radiator to remove the t-stat. My suggestion, remove the t-stat all together and see if it ticks. Put it back together with out the thermostat in and see it ticks.
I might be that the flow of the water over the thermostat is rocking it back and forth? or something is loose.

gentilepiano
06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Ticks hot or cold!!

gentilepiano
06-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Thermostat fits nice and snug, o ring is new also!?!?

crankin
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Just take it out...and set it off to the side. Bolt things back up without the t-stat in and see if it ticks.

Just because it fits nice and snug doesn't eliminate the thermostat.

gentilepiano
07-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Update on the ticking
T Stat removed
new heater control valve
adjusted valves (very quiet)
fan belt off
still a rhythmic click
The clicking seems louder with the T Stat out.
Could it be the timing chain tensioner?
If I remove the oilpan can i get a look at the timing chain??
Could the main bearing cap be loose ?
Thanks All

SafeAirOne
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
If you remove the timing cover, you'll be able to see the timing chain.

gentilepiano
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
just looking for an easy way out!!

JimCT
07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
just looking for an easy way out!!

They all make sounds

SafeAirOne
07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Attempted to delete this here post. I guess that's not an option once it's posted. Sorry...