PDA

View Full Version : BUMPER LIFTING / TOWING EYE

john connelly
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
WAS WONDERING IF THE FRONT BUMBER LIFTING /TOWING EYES WERE FACTORY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. IF SO IT SEEMS THE BUMPER DID NOT HAVE PREDRILLED HOLES FOR THEM. OUR HOST DOES NOT HAVE THE NOS PARTS. MY RIG IS STOCK AND THINK THE AFTERMARKET SHINNY ONES WOULD NOT LOOK RIGHT . ANY THOUGHTS. THANKS

o2batsea
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
You really want to upgrade your bumper to one like Ike sells (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/) before bolting the lift eyes to it. The stock one is extremely light and bolting thru it will give you absolutely no extra strength.

mrdoiron
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
For sure a good suggestion if you want a functional eye that will not create new problems in actually using....

You really want to upgrade your bumper to one like Ike sells (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/) before bolting the lift eyes to it. The stock one is extremely light and bolting thru it will give you absolutely no extra strength.

jac04
06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
The stock one is extremely light and bolting thru it will give you absolutely no extra strength.

Doesn't matter what bumper he has. The lifting/towing rings he is talking about bolt through the chassis:
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/211/242139-LIFTING-TOWING-RING-FRONT.html?search=lifting%20ring&page=1

To the OP: Not sure if they were offered as original equipment. You are correct, the bumper needs to be drilled to install the rings. For each ring, the existing 2 bumper mounting holes are used, and you will need to drill 2 more holes. The last Genuine set I bought came complete with the 2 rings and all the appropriate mounting hardware.

john connelly
06-24-2012, 04:43 AM
thanks for the replies. i once was looking at a build sheet for a series LR and notice that the towing eye was added as an option to the purchase. thanks again for taking the time to respond. john

yorker
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
They were definitely an original option. Someone on here posted their build sheet what had them on it. The shine will go away after a while, you could probably patina them if you wanted to.

I Leak Oil
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Using these rings as designed, you will not have an issue with an original bumper. They aren't recovery points and aren't designed to be. As for the shine, put them on and let mother nature take it's course.

eventhorizon
06-28-2012, 05:01 AM
What are these "rings" designed for? Anybody knows their SWL rating?
Pictured, are the ones my rig came with. I'm not sure if these where the ones offered as the factory option, but I would like to know what they are capable of. Sorry I don't have a better close up.
http://img.tapatalk.com/25f4971a-2b43-b6c5.jpg

ThePhotographer
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
We offer two different versions. A genuine and a Proline version. If finish is an issue to you, you can always spray it or have it powder coated.
Proline version:
PLN959 - $39.95
http://i.imgur.com/Wy1X4.jpg
Genuine Version:
RNN959 - $80.54
http://i.imgur.com/afcM0.jpg

Both of which are currently in stock.

PH4
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Pictured, are the ones my rig came with. I'm not sure if these where the ones offered as the factory option, but I would like to know what they are capable of. Sorry I don't have a better close up.
http://img.tapatalk.com/25f4971a-2b43-b6c5.jpg

How did you switch a Defender Windscreen onto a Series? Was it difficult? Curious because I am 6'3 and my only real issue with my Series is having to crouch over to see through windshield.

TSR53
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Rings are officially labeled from Land Rover in 1973 publication, "Optional Parts Catalog RTC9009, page 123" as Front Lifting and Towing Ring Assembly. Rating capacity is not noted, see attachment.

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Optional-Parts-Catalog-RTC9009-page123.jpg

eventhorizon
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
How did you switch a Defender Windscreen onto a Series? Was it difficult? Curious because I am 6'3 and my only real issue with my Series is having to crouch over to see through windshield.

It was like that when I got it, so I'm not really sure. But I think the whole top was originally from a defender. She was once a station wagon.

http://img.tapatalk.com/25f49695-b59e-8f11.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/25f49695-b5bd-1540.jpg

ThePhotographer
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Proline-
http://www.roversnorth.com/p-19849-liftingtowing-ring-front-series-ii-iii.aspx
Genuine-
http://www.roversnorth.com/p-20006-lifting-ring-front-bumpr-ser-ii-iii.aspx

eventhorizon
06-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Rings are officially labeled from Land Rover in 1973 publication, "Optional Parts Catalog RTC9009, page 123" as Front Lifting and Towing Ring Assembly. Rating capacity is not noted, see attachment.

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Optional-Parts-Catalog-RTC9009-page123.jpg

Thanks for that. Those rings are sort of useless for recovery without ratings, in my opinion. Also, mine are different in that they are not a closed loop as all the others I have seen. They are welded at one end and looped around in a spiral shape with the other end opene. Do these have a spacial name? They are hard to see in the pic, but you can sort of see the left side of the loops are not attached to anything.

http://img.tapatalk.com/25f49695-b87d-56d4.jpg

disco2hse
06-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Not that useless. I have yet to see one break.

stonefox
06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Using these rings as designed, you will not have an issue with an original bumper. They aren't recovery points and aren't designed to be. As for the shine, put them on and let mother nature take it's course.
Jason,
what were they designed for,if it wasn't recovery?

disco2hse
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Lifting and towing. That's why they are called Lifting and Towing rings.

disco2hse
06-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Sorry, just being a little facetious :P

They were developed for the MOD for use by the armed services for deployment.

See here, at 5:53.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWVzB_bLlKY

eventhorizon
06-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Not that useless. I have yet to see one break.

Yeah well if one did pull out under load and you where standing near it, you probably would not be around to tell the story!
When the military used them for lifting, they are in stripped down vehicles and the forces applied are vertical (usless for my purpose). Towing doesn't say much either as there isn't that much resistance when towing a vehicle in the tarmac (unlike recovering a vehicle that is bogged).
Recovery straps, shackles, cables and winches are rated for a reason. I'd hate to find out the breaking load of these rings in a recovery situation!

The video doesn't prove much, but it was sure entertaining to watch. Thanks

greenmeanie
06-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Yours are home made pig tails and I wouldn't trust them.

On the other hand the Rover parts are 3/8th plate with the D-ring being 3/4dia bar. You do have a weld to throw into the mix but there would have been some sort of quality process attached to that. You then have 2 (Hopefully high grade) 3/8th X 4" bolts through the chassis plus another two shorter ones through the bumper top plate. When pulled the load translates to a moment arm on the ends of the chassis.

Consider that the chassis this is mounted to is made from 14 gauge mild steel, admittedly doubled up round the spring hangers at the front. There is a stiffener plate inside the chassis too which helps prevent crushing but also tends to trap water and muck. This whole area at the front of the chassis is one of the first places to go soft. I would worry less about ratings on the D-rings and more about making sure that part of your chassis is in top condition if you plan to effect high load recoveries.

eventhorizon
06-29-2012, 02:57 AM
Yours are home made pig tails and I wouldn't trust them.

On the other hand the Rover parts are 3/8th plate with the D-ring being 3/4dia bar. You do have a weld to throw into the mix but there would have been some sort of quality process attached to that. You then have 2 (Hopefully high grade) 3/8th X 4" bolts through the chassis plus another two shorter ones through the bumper top plate. When pulled the load translates to a moment arm on the ends of the chassis.

Consider that the chassis this is mounted to is made from 14 gauge mild steel, admittedly doubled up round the spring hangers at the front. There is a stiffener plate inside the chassis too which helps prevent crushing but also tends to trap water and muck. This whole area at the front of the chassis is one of the first places to go soft. I would worry less about ratings on the D-rings and more about making sure that part of your chassis is in top condition if you plan to effect high load recoveries.

Thanks, thats great info. I was wondering what to call those. Guess "pigtails" make sense. If they are "home made" the guy was a hell of a fabricator with access to some serious bending machinery and an eye for detail as they are both identical. Not that I trust them for anything else that lashing/ road towing anyways. Assuming the chassis is good nick. What's the best way to get some strong recovery points in while keeping the original bumper? Thanks again

I Leak Oil
06-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Jason,
what were they designed for,if it wasn't recovery?

Well, they're too big and too round to be built in church keys so I guess I'll have to side with the parts manual term for them, lifting and towing.:gulp:

SafeAirOne
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Well, they're too big and too round to be built in church keys...:gulp:

I wouldn't be so sure about that:

http://cdn.taylorgifts.com/images/products/p38867_500.jpg

:D

I Leak Oil
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that:

http://cdn.taylorgifts.com/images/products/p38867_500.jpg

:D

Nice! Must be from Doug's farm...

greenmeanie
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Lets look at your requirements:
- Must keep original bumper. That's a shame because Ike builds a REALLY nice bumper that looks OEM but has the revovery eyes welded in. Its thicker material so very, very strong.
- Must used rated parts. See above. They are not rated but Ike's bumpers are very, very strong. Again, they will not be the weak pointin the system.
- You don't like shiny galvy. Ooohhhh dear. All truly wonderfull goodies on a series only com in one shade.

There are many, many ways to add recovery points to your truck but they almost all require some fabrication of new parts or fabrication of mountings. Some options are:
1. Ike at Pangolin 4x4 bumper. Awesome. (You may be picking up on a theme here.)
2. Dare I say it the afore mentioned D-rings. Rover has sold them for decades and while not 'rated' you'll find the internet is not awash with stories of death and maiming from their failure.
3. Any of the screw or bolt on recovery eyes out there. Yes the eye is rated but now you have to secure it. Are you sure that OEM bumper is strong enough? (Hint - NO.)
4. Build a modified spring shackle with a wider web and an extra hole in it to pass a recovery shackle through and put on on each side. Again its not rated, not particulalry convenient to access and you have to be able to fab it up.
5. If you can weld the sky is your limit. Do you trust your welds?
6. Or if you are truly worried about these things you can do the same things as series owners have always done and wrap the towing strap round the spring pivot eye on the front of the chassis. That is going to be strongest because you are pulling directly on one of the strongest parts of the chassis, there are no 'rated' components to fail and no mount to worry about. Just protect your strap from sharp edges and for best effect use a shrt strap to wrap through the spring eyes to spread the load and then a single long strap to the recovery vehcile. Oh, its the cheapest too.

eventhorizon
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Lets look at your requirements:
- Must keep original bumper. That's a shame because Ike builds a REALLY nice bumper that looks OEM but has the revovery eyes welded in. Its thicker material so very, very strong.
- Must used rated parts. See above. They are not rated but Ike's bumpers are very, very strong. Again, they will not be the weak pointin the system.
- You don't like shiny galvy. Ooohhhh dear. All truly wonderfull goodies on a series only com in one shade.

There are many, many ways to add recovery points to your truck but they almost all require some fabrication of new parts or fabrication of mountings. Some options are:
1. Ike at Pangolin 4x4 bumper. Awesome. (You may be picking up on a theme here.)
2. Dare I say it the afore mentioned D-rings. Rover has sold them for decades and while not 'rated' you'll find the internet is not awash with stories of death and maiming from their failure.
3. Any of the screw or bolt on recovery eyes out there. Yes the eye is rated but now you have to secure it. Are you sure that OEM bumper is strong enough? (Hint - NO.)
4. Build a modified spring shackle with a wider web and an extra hole in it to pass a recovery shackle through and put on on each side. Again its not rated, not particulalry convenient to access and you have to be able to fab it up.
5. If you can weld the sky is your limit. Do you trust your welds?
6. Or if you are truly worried about these things you can do the same things as series owners have always done and wrap the towing strap round the spring pivot eye on the front of the chassis. That is going to be strongest because you are pulling directly on one of the strongest parts of the chassis, there are no 'rated' components to fail and no mount to worry about. Just protect your strap from sharp edges and for best effect use a shrt strap to wrap through the spring eyes to spread the load and then a single long strap to the recovery vehcile. Oh, its the cheapest too.

Yeah Pangoli's bumpers look great and seem to be the tits. I'd very much like one except I'd have to haul it half way round the world to Thailand and then probably pay 200% duty on it.
Option #6 is new to me but make the most sense as a quick solution.
So think I'll go with #6 till' I land a good pile of dough and order one from Ike.
Thanks for the write up.

disco2hse
06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Recovery straps, shackles, cables and winches are rated for a reason. I'd hate to find out the breaking load of these rings in a recovery situation!

Hmmm bit grumpy are we? As I said, I have yet to see one break, but I have seen them bent. There are plenty of rated rings about. Just Google for them.

Even rated components break and sometimes they are stamped as rated but break below that rating. Rating is not a guarantee that something will not break. All stamping will do is tell you when to expect a component to break. In the end, in a recovery situation, you are the controller of the equipment and you need to decide what is going to be safe and what is not, regardless of rating stamps.

The same thing applies to jate rings. I have seen some that are so-called rated but most are not and LR branded rings are not. Essentially they were only ever designed for lifting. Yet they have been used on Land Rovers for decades in recoveries and without issue. Most Land Rover owners would advise using jate rings over other recovery points, yet most are not rated. How would you get round that?

However, rating also shows that prototypes of manufactured components have passed some texts of deformation and breakage. On individual items, those numbers may vary. I have seen some pretty manky so-called rated components but most are good for purpose. On the other hand, for example, I have a Warn rear recovery shackle that fits into a hitch receiver. It is not stamped as rated, but Warn freely admitted when asked, none have ever broken and they don't know when the 2" square lump of galvanised metal would break.

The discussion could go round and round.

The video doesn't prove much, but it was sure entertaining to watch. Thanks

The video was not provided to prove anything :rolleyes: The video was intended to answer your question. Towing and -->l i f t i n g<-- rings.

jac04
06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
They were developed for the MOD for use by the armed services for deployment.

See here, at 5:53.
The video at 5:53 shows an Air Portable being lifted. This may seem like a technicality, but the Air Portable lifting rings are not the same as the 242139 lifting rings. The Air Portable rings are supposedly forged and are supposed to be used with a proper shackle. 559882 is the part number for the front rings.

disco2hse
06-30-2012, 12:59 AM
The video at 5:53 shows an Air Portable being lifted. This may seem like a technicality, but the Air Portable lifting rings are not the same as the 242139 lifting rings. The Air Portable rings are supposedly forged and are supposed to be used with a proper shackle. 559882 is the part number for the front rings.

Good call. :)

eventhorizon
06-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Hmmm bit grumpy are we? As I said, I have yet to see one break, but I have seen them bent. There are plenty of rated rings about. Just Google for them.

Even rated components break and sometimes they are stamped as rated but break below that rating. Rating is not a guarantee that something will not break. All stamping will do is tell you when to expect a component to break. In the end, in a recovery situation, you are the controller of the equipment and you need to decide what is going to be safe and what is not, regardless of rating stamps.

The same thing applies to jate rings. I have seen some that are so-called rated but most are not and LR branded rings are not. Essentially they were only ever designed for lifting. Yet they have been used on Land Rovers for decades in recoveries and without issue. Most Land Rover owners would advise using jate rings over other recovery points, yet most are not rated. How would you get round that?

However, rating also shows that prototypes of manufactured components have passed some texts of deformation and breakage. On individual items, those numbers may vary. I have seen some pretty manky so-called rated components but most are good for purpose. On the other hand, for example, I have a Warn rear recovery shackle that fits into a hitch receiver. It is not stamped as rated, but Warn freely admitted when asked, none have ever broken and they don't know when the 2" square lump of galvanised metal would break.

The discussion could go round and round.

The video was not provided to prove anything :rolleyes: The video was intended to answer your question. Towing and -->l i f t i n g<-- rings.

Sorry if you misunderstood mate.I did not mean to come through as anything other than interested on the subject and appreciative for the information. Guess I forgot to put in some smilies :) to transmit the mood. I just wanted to know the SWL of my equipment, so I don't do something stupid and pull one out doing a simple recovery or something like that. And now I know. I wont be using them for anything other that easy towing and perhaps a lift if I ever need one ;)

JimCT
06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Sorry if you misunderstood mate.I did not mean to come through as anything other than interested on the subject and appreciative for the information. Guess I forgot to put in some smilies :) to transmit the mood. I just wanted to know the SWL of my equipment, so I don't do something stupid and pull one out doing a simple recovery or something like that. And now I know. I wont be using them for anything other that easy towing and perhaps a lift if I ever need one ;)

Hope will you ever be able to determine what the pull will be needed to recover your truck? Short of having a load cell in line with your winch it really all becomes a moot point.

gudjeon
06-30-2012, 03:42 PM
After inspecting that my chassis was sound, i made my own bumper. It emulates the original and I made it from 1/8" walled 3" square tubing. The mounting tabs were made from 1/4" plate and are a bit oversize from the original. I used two 9/16" NF bolts on each side, in the original holes which are a bit larger than original (at least on mine). The curved ends are created by copying the original curve and welding the ends shut. Cutting torch and arc welder old skool style. The pull hook is an original equipment take off from a Jeep somethingorother. If it pulls off, then I am in trouble.
PS, it hasn't yet.

john connelly
07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
just got my lifting / toeing eyes in the mail today. cant wait to bolt them on. Mentioned in the start of this tread that i was looking for OEM eyes and not the shinny after market ones. one gent laughed at me. sorry for being into restoring my Rig to the way it came off the factory line. Call me sick - but i think it looks great. would recommend installing them if you do not have them already. boy do i like my Series 3.

I Leak Oil
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Mentioned in the start of this tread that i was looking for OEM eyes and not the shinny after market ones. one gent laughed at me. sorry for being into restoring my Rig to the way it came off the factory line. Call me sick - but i think it looks great. would recommend installing them if you do not have them already. boy do i like my Series 3.

Never be sorry for anything you do to YOUR truck! If someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to do it to THEIR truck. I'm glad you like your SIII, my SIIa is better though.:cheers:

o2batsea
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah Pangoli's bumpers look great and seem to be the tits. I'd very much like one except I'd have to haul it half way round the world to Thailand and then probably pay 200% duty on it.

I can't believe that you can't find a way to smuggle a bumper into Thailand.

disco2hse
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Disregard this.

Interesting that you can't delete anything you post, even just a half a second after you post it up...

Why?

I thought your comment was pretty funny.

SafeAirOne
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Why?

I thought your comment was pretty funny.

You must have caught it at just the right moment, before I changed my mind. I didn't want to alter the course of the thread too much with my dry wit. ;)

I Leak Oil
07-11-2012, 04:48 AM
I didn't want to alter the course of the thread too much with my dry wit. ;)

Mark, I think they make a cream for that.:thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
07-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Mark, I think they make a cream for that.:thumb-up:

I've tried the over-the-counter stuff, but it hasn't helped.

disco2hse
07-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I've tried the over-the-counter stuff, but it hasn't helped.

Does give a lift though.