PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Removal

ocsddep
06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
I decided to fill the fuel tank on my 67 109 NADA to see if the gauge is working or not. The gauge never got past 1/4 yet the tank was full. Also, I noticed the tank was leaking from the top and dripping down. It only took 3 gals, so it must have been pretty full.
I am thinking about dropping the tank. Is it a fairly straightforward job? Is the sensor/float in the tank?
I had posted previously that I had an Aux tank under the pass seat. I decided it was easier not to use it and just use the main tank. Do they normally leak when they overfill? Either way, I have to make sure that I have an accurate gauge.
Any help or advice is always appreciated.
Ray

SafeAirOne
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
On the 5-door 109's there are 2 hatches in the rear tub floor to access the vent line and the fuel sender without dropping the tank. Pop those off and look for leakage through the tank fittings and the sender gasket. I don't know if you have the screw-on type or the cam type of fuel sender attachment (I imagine it's a screw-on type), but I've found fuel leaking out from around my sender after fill-up before.

To answer your question, no, they don't normally leak when over-full.

Once you get the fuel back down to a reasonable level, you should just be able to pop your sender out and determine if it is faulty.

ocsddep
06-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks Mark! I will give it a try. This truck has been a nightmare. I have tons of receipts, but I wish I had a better history of what was done. The guy I bought it from was not very straightforward with me, so I am having to discover things on my own. But, that is half the fun, right? :)

4flattires
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I'll presume you know the gauge is working before you head towards the sender. When you do pull the sender, pull the draw tube as well and check the pipe length and screen condition.

If the vehicle has not been operated with regularity, it's typical for the float to "gunk" in place and register a consistent reading.

ocsddep
06-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I was able to remove the panel and noticed a leak from the gasket of the pipe but not from the float. I will be taking apart the float and ordering 2 new gaskets. At least it is good news that I don't have to drop the tank for now.