PDA

View Full Version : help>>>virgin Series 11a owner>>>needs advice

waterman
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I recently purchased a 67 series 11a 109. previous owner had put a 72-74 chevy 250 straight 6 in her. The motor sounds and runs great. Here is the bug....there is no fan...I live in Texas, it is hot, there is no room to put fan on. Did I get my shorts dropped or is there a solution? PS..I have had radiator cleaned, new water pump, and installed 180 degree thermostat...it also came with an electric fan, I have tried pushing and pulling air...not helping>>>>Somebody please!!!!

Howsomever
06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Are you saying it overheats?? The normal 2.25 engine used a 165 degree thermostat........you can try a lower temp thermostat or take it out for the summer. Use an electric fan in front of radiator to push air through the radiator if there is room. Last but not least maybe the radiator is not big enough to handle the cooling.

jonnyc
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Definitely use the 165 deg. 'stat, and get that fan hooked up. Whether in front of or behind the radiator, you want it forcing air in the direction of forward travel.

knac1234
06-24-2012, 12:43 PM
waterman-

Think I chatted with you the other day about a roof rack??

Anyway, maybe post some pics of how everything has been installed....might help with some creative solutions!

Speaking from experience on a rear engine, rear radiator (read: overheated when new) old Brit car, I did the following, some of which might help your plight:

-Recore the radiator with the most efficient core. Or fit the largest radiator you can....or both. A good rad shop should be able to guide you on this.
-Electric fan and lower temp thermostats may help also.
-Are you running an oil cooler?? Just another way to help dissipate heat......
-Assuming this Chevy engine is carburetted, is it adjusted properly? If it is run too lean, that can sometimes generate extra heat. Same with the timing. How do the plugs look?

I did all of this on the above mentioned car, and now I have a car that runs properly in heat, altitude, and the major grades of the mountains of Colorado!

Julian

albersj51
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
there a shroud of any kind to direct the air in the engine compartment?

waterman
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
there a shroud of any kind to direct the air in the engine compartment?
thanx to all of you for replying....put on bigger electric fan..she will now run at 210 degrees...much better than it was. I will take radiator to shop tomorrow to get new core. Love driving this machine, what little i have had her out...will keep u all posted!!!!

waterman
06-24-2012, 01:34 PM
yes this is me in Texas. still checking with Fed Ex Freight about your roof rack>>>thanx for input on cooling vehicle...