PDA

View Full Version : Opininons on clutch line

deezgunz
06-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm replacing the clutch line on my 73 88 NAS. It occurred to me that a short direct line from the MC to the flex (on the same side of the MC) then flex to the slave would be more efficient rather than transversing the entire length of the bulkhead. I can only deduce that the engineers did this for a reason. Perhaps to build up adequte pressure? Opinions? Comments?

mearstrae
06-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Having worked on hydraulic sytems of all sizes (industrial, commercial, and automotive). I find that the shorter the lines the quicker the response of that which is being activated. Other things factor in, such as; diameter/length of lines, pounds of pressure, gallons/minute flow, etc. But short lines seem to be a good idea across the board for a good, quick reacting system. Keep in mind most cars (Rovers included) are built by the accountants and not the engineers, some cost saving idea will win over a good design every time.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

albersj51
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I would think that, given the distance traveled will be roughly equal, that having more hard line would be better since the flex line will expand some due to the pressure. More flex hose=more expansion=less pressure on the clutch. just a guess.

SafeAirOne
06-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Remember that these vehicles were both left and right-hand drive, so that may be a driving factor some of the routing/components used.

TeriAnn
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm replacing the clutch line on my 73 88 NAS. It occurred to me that a short direct line from the MC to the flex (on the same side of the MC) then flex to the slave would be more efficient rather than transversing the entire length of the bulkhead. I can only deduce that the engineers did this for a reason. Perhaps to build up adequte pressure? Opinions? Comments?

The Series Land Rover is basically a RHD vehicle adapted to LHD from the rest of the world. The hydraulic layout at frame level is optimized for RHD. They just ran some lines across the top of the bulkhead to the master cylinders to accommodate LHD. The tubing for the front brakes is especially circuitous with places to trap air bubbles.

When I switched over to dual power brakes I decided to replace the old rusting steel lines with new ones and route the lines specifically for my Land Rover. For instance my front brake line does straight down to the frame from the master cylinder, straight to the front left wheel, a 3 way T connector and around the front on top of the front frame cross member to the front right brake. There are no rises & dips to collect air bubbles and bleeding is very quick and easy. My clutch hydraulics ended up being self bleeding as there is no place to trap a bubble. I just pour in the fluid, pump the clutch a dozen or so times and it is bled. There is no need to open up the bleed screw because any air just bubbles up to the master cylinder.

You can never go wrong by maintaining a stock brake system but a RHD layout of hydraulic tubes on the frame of a LHD truck never made sense to me.