PDA

View Full Version : 1961 109 Dormobile

parrie
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello All,

I am fairly new to the LR world (purchased a 99 Dico II couple of years ago)...my wife would like to know if I have lost my mind for my latest purchase. I have just rescued a 1961 109 Dormobile station wagon for $4,000. I've done a fair amount of research and believe this to be a fair price but figured someone could convince my wife that I am infact stable. The ole girl runs fine and all the major items (frame, bulkhead, rear cross-member, out-riggers, spring mounts, running gear, top, headliner, glass) are in fairly good condition. Door tops and bottoms are OK as are the body panels. Here's the not so good...the canvas for the top has a tear, door seals are toast, windshield vent seals are toast, two door pillars are close to toast, stove/refridge/cabinets/accessories are missing, rear seats/beds are missing, leaking brake fluid. Plan to restore to a daily driver and intend to use it for what it was built for...it seems a shame to let it just sit there looking pretty. Sooo, any thoughts? Is $4,000 a good deal or must I admit to my wife that I have flipped a lid?

SafeAirOne
06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Based on your description, I think you made out rather well.

o2batsea
06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
By door pillars you mean the ones on the sides of the bulkhead that the front doors mount to? If they are rusted out, you have zero sources for replacement metal other than Pegasus Parts (http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/) in the UK. I have tried all the (garbage) from every other vendor and you will not be disappointed with theirs.

parrie
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
She does need some work but all in all I think I made a pretyy good deal. Taking delivery on Thursday, can't wait! As I mentioned I'm new to the Rover world so I expect this forum will be utilized often. Thanks for reading

parrie
06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately yes, the passenger side front door pillar is close to toast at the bottom. Surprisingly the bulkhead and foot-wells are solid and appear to be original, no signs of patch-work. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

TeriAnn
06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
I am fairly new to the LR world (purchased a 99 Dico II couple of years ago)...my wife would like to know if I have lost my mind for my latest purchase. I have just rescued a 1961 109 Dormobile station wagon for $4,000. I've done a fair amount of research and believe this to be a fair price but figured someone could convince my wife that I am infact stable.

Sorry, but you are indeed starting on a slippery slope into an alternate reality and there are those in the reality you are leaving who will think that you are going totally bonkers. You might be pulled back into your old plane of reality and decide to either sell of your mistake or just put the truck in the back yard to wait until the time to work on it seems more appropriate. Otherwise you will slip into another dimension of space and time where you may occasionally see Rod Sterling trying to explain to others what is going on with you.

As to the $4000. That sounds about right for a Dormie that has lost most of its conversion parts and is in need of a lot of deferred maintenance. A Land Rover Dormobile with all its standard parts can go anywhere from $12,000 to $20,000 depending upon condition.

Figure you have about $8000 to complete the interior and bring it up to good functional condition.

You will likely be spending money at Dormobile Ltd. (http://www.dormobile.co.uk/)

But before you do, spend some time on my Dormobile web site (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/index.html) getting to know the special parts and options.

There is a Dormobile mail list. It is in google groups. Go to google groups and search for the Dormobile group then join. Introduce yourself. There are people willing to help out.

Here's the not so good...the canvas for the top has a tear,

Replacements are available new from Dormobile Ltd.

door seals are toast, windshield vent seals are toast,

All available new. I suggest going to the Defender style door seals. They are a BIG improvement over the Series door seals.

stove/refridge/cabinets/accessories are missing, rear seats/beds are missing

OK BIG order from Dormobile Ltd. Remember the more things you buy from them at one time so they ship together the cheaper the shipping cost is for each item. Before you order new Dormobile parts join the Dormobile mail list and ask if anyone has spare stuff to sell. You might find that there are spares of some or most of what you are missing sitting in people's garage.

admit to my wife that I have flipped a lid? You are in the process of 'flipping a lid" and your sanity is clearly in doubt. However I know for certain that the Dormobile ward of the asylum is filled with some pretty nice folks.

SafeAirOne
06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
The way I see it, you are starting with a blank canvas and you can equip the truck the way that best suits YOUR needs, using modern, locally-available components.

parrie
06-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I feel much better knowing that I will have company at the asylum! I have been on your site and I'm sure that I will be spending much quiet time there assuming I can get out of my straight jacket...hope to see you in therepy! Thanks for the info

parrie
06-27-2012, 07:59 AM
You read my mind Mark.

carl k
06-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Your deal sounds like a fair price.

If you want to fit an original interior, I have an original "spice rack" and an original cooker unit I would sell. The cooker comes with the Calor stove and the pink plastic sink. I have another cooker unit that has the sink but no stove. This one has rust around the bottom but I've got another bottom that goes with it. I'm in CA and willing to ship via Greyhound Freight.

Bare cooker unit:
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii343/oldvespa/Dormobile_cooker/cooker09.jpg

complete cooker unit:
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii343/oldvespa/dor/cookertotal.jpg

Carl K.
1967 NADA Dormobile

PS: you should join the Dormobile Google group.

rover whit
06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Is this the Dormie in Maine? I was looking at that as well and actually I'm glad it's still not hanging around out there. Saved me a ton. Good luck with it and have a good drive to the Island. At least it will be scenic.

thixon
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Post some close ups of the door pillar that's bad. It may not be as bad as you think. If it truly is just the bottom of the pillar as you say, and nothing else, it'll work out okay. It's true that the replacement pillars are now scarce, but it's not hard to fab that section.

parrie
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks very much for the offer. I just took delivery yesterday afternoon, still going through to determine what most needs attention. At present I think the interior is going to be low on the list but I'm sure to get there sooner or later. Thanks again.

parrie
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes sir, was located on Westport Island. Did you get a chance to get a look at her?

parrie
06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Just took delivery yesterday, now that I'm getting a second look it may not be as bad as I thought initially. Haven't gotten to the picture stage yet but will get some posted in the near future. Thanks for the response.

parrie
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh yeah, the guy had it advertised as a 1961 but according to the chassis # it is a 1962 model year that was built in 1961.

rover whit
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Can't wait for the interior pics. I was tempted to take a look but I thought it would just be too much at this point in time. I wouldn't mind seeing this as you go though. How does it run?

parrie
07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
With the exception of the seats and roll-out cots the interior is rough... interior door panels are toast, doesn't appear that it ever had a rear seat or the stove & fridge, canvas top is toast, headliner is sagging. According to the previous owner he purchased it in Rockland in 1995 and was told that it was imported from England and originally ordered w/ just the top conversion w/o all the bells and whistles. The top is dull and needs to be painted but otherwise it is solid. As I mentioned he had it listed as a 1961 but the serial number shows that Martin Walter took delivery in October of 1961 so I am assuming that it is actually a 1962 model year?

In short there is alot to do on the interior but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the usual problem areas (bulkhead, footwells, rear cross member, frame, doors) were very solid. Also, the previous owner smoked the original engine shortly after he purchaed the truck so installed a reconditioned engine from a Rover shop in Washington state. He also reconditioned the original radiator and converted to 12v. She runs very good.

No doubt there's alot of work to do but for the most part she's solid and definately worthy of restoration. My plan is to begin a frame-off restoration this winter. I'm not interested in restoring to have it sit in a garage somewhere...I'm restoring the ole girl to use and enjoy. Hope to have a few pictures posted soon.

SafeAirOne
07-04-2012, 07:13 AM
He also reconditioned the original radiator and converted to 12v.

Whas it something OTHER THAN 12v originally? That'd be unusual.

parrie
07-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Sorry, meant to say converted the 12v to negative earth.