PDA

View Full Version : Dead Shock? / Sagging 109 in one corner

toga Rover
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Hello all,

I bought a '73 109 5-door RHD 6cyl. I noticed that the rear right corner sags @1.5inches lower than the left side. The truck has extremely stiff springs, and it drives like a buckboard.

Could it be that the right rear shock has give up the ghost (would a shock play that much of a role in ride height) or is it more likely that the frame is a bit cockeyed? The frame appears solid throughout, and the springs look to be in good shape as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

slorocco
06-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Traditional shocks are unlikely to be the cause as they provide only damping and no spring force. I have the same problem, same corner on my 88. The problem is what appears to be a slightly sagged spring on the right rear corner. I suppose there is a possibility it could be the chassis but that would be hard to measure without going to a good body shop with a frame machine.

On my truck you can see that the spring on that corner has less curvature and that the shackle is angled back a bit farther then the other side.

stomper
06-30-2012, 05:31 AM
a lot of rovers lean. if it is driving rough, it is most likely due to springs that aren't flexing, and not the shocks. Many people have drove their truck without shocks at all to get home, and have never noticed a bit of difference in the ride or handling.

Take an old paintbrush and a coffee can. mix some 90wt oil, or motor oil, or whatever you have handy, with some diesel or kerosene to thin it out. Jack the truck up by the frame to decompress the springs, and paint the springs liberally with the oil/diesel mixture. Then go find a rough road or field where you will articulate the heck out of the truck. repeat if necessary.

antichrist
06-30-2012, 06:18 AM
Traditional shocks will not be the cause as they provide only damping and no spring force.Fixed it for you. ;)
Yes, shocks aren't load bearing. It's your springs.

If you measure the distance between the top of the springs at the axle and the chassis, I bet you'll find the saggy side is shorter.

slorocco
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Fixed it for you. ;)
Yes, shocks aren't load bearing. It's your springs.

If you measure the distance between the top of the springs at the axle and the chassis, I bet you'll find the saggy side is shorter.

Thanks Tom. On very rare occasions I've seen shocks seize up and cause some problems. That's why I used the word unlikely.

SafeAirOne
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Also have a look at (compare) the rear shackle angles and closely examine outrigger where the front of the springs mount. These outriggers can get filled up with gunk, where it'll rot from the inside till the weight of the vehicle causes the spring mount to push up into the rotten outrigger.

antichrist
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Tom. On very rare occasions I've seen shocks seize up and cause some problems.Really? I've never seen that happen, but I guess anything is possible. Learn something new every day. :)

LaneRover
07-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Then go find a rough road or field where you will articulate the heck out of the truck. repeat if necessary.

If you need to load a bunch of wood or something else heavy in the back to help with the articulation. My 109 wagon always rode a lot better after a workout in the mountains east of San Diego.