PDA

View Full Version : disco 1 sagging headliner

landrover77
05-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I guess this is somewhat common?
Does anyone have any suggestions about replacements.
Here in New Hampshire there is a great interior shop that
will do anything (expensive though).
Is there any options for removing the headliner and put up
another (better) material?
How much of a pain in the neck is doing this kind of
work from my garage?
thanks-

-its not thatbig a deal but I've become a sort of perfectionist
when it comes to my Rover. They are the best 4X4X Far! And so damn stylish!

1rrover
05-25-2007, 08:01 AM
removing the headliner is not that hard,I did mine in One afternoon, if you have the shop manual it will even tell you how to do it, but if not is not a problem if you use a little common sense.

the rear netted map compartments are fastend to the head liner it self not to the roof so they come off after you have the head liner out.
you can remove all the screws and fasteners and the trim around the sunroofs if you have them, then slide the head liner out of the rear door.

Most shops will reline you head liner for a fraction of the cost of doing the whole job, (I got my done for $60) then you can re install it your self.

hope this helps

landrover77
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Can I remove and reinstall the headliner without removing the trim?
Or is it best to take the trim off. As a matter of a more professional
look once done.
Is there any schematics floating around out there on the dome light/sunroof switch console removal. Also info/schematic on the console
in the rear- rear dome light/rear sunroof switch console. Anything is
greatly appreciated. -cheers

NOTE: I do not have sunroofs - which will simplify headliners removal.
I do have the switchs though - I've pondered putting in a front sunroof
during the installation of the new headliner? Probably non-power.
(just a piece of tinted glass with a good gasket seal!)

Anyone done that - if so, any tips.

singingcamel
06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
usually they fail due to the poor quality of the foam on which the material is glued to.
3M makes a product to reglue the liner.sun roofs are a pain to work around so consider yourself lucky there.
some people scrap off the foam backing and re glue the material back on.you can do it.:thumb-up:

SGFMORover
06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
saw a pic of someone that had removed the cloth and used garage floor type paint to recover the headliner, actually looked good, and stainproof for those of us that play hard and stain cloth. just a thought.

side note I do auto glass fo a living, sunroof additions are a nightmare if your'e trying to make one that will open. if you just want a peice of glass, its do-able but I'd pay a good body shop to cut the hole and create a pinchweld to set a gasket around; or just scrap the idea and keep dreamin.

landrover77
06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Any idea on what amount $$$ it would run me
to have just the glass piece w/ gasket installed?
It sounds cool and I would welcome the extra light.

Not sure I want to tackle the headliner (scraping off
the dried glue, etc...
Call it lazy or lack of time
I'd pay for the work to done right.

SGFMORover
06-19-2007, 05:19 PM
have to try and find a vehicle that already has a solid gasket set piece... i'll try to check a nags book and see what I can find....