PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover sealing query?

Enigma
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I am sure vI have seen this before but I have a new gasket for my valve cover and I am not sure of where I should apply sealant. Do I put it on the head side or on the cover side? John

crankin
07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Cork? valve cover side. But it really only serves to hold it in place a little better. You do not really have to do any sealant. But, if you want... Permatex #1, #2 or shellac. Your pick. My two cents....not to use any kind of silicone sealer with cork. Anything slippery will cause the gasket to squeeze out when the bolts are tightened

Cork works very well on valve covers, where you might have to make remove and refit a few times (i usually try to replace mine every three removals), but it's very important that you don't over tighten. If you over tighten, than the gasket will crush and as a result will only give a satisfactory seal one time, making reuse impossible.

stomper
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM
My cork gasket sticks to the block. I don't know if the P.O. put sealant on it of not, but the valve cover side is bare. I have re-used it several times without issues, But thanks to Clint's recommendation, I think I will pick up a new one when I place my next order just in case!

gudjeon
07-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I use cheap and cheerful contact cement to adhere the gasket to the valve cover. A thin smear of your favourite grease on the other side keeps it from sticking. Should be able to take the cover on and off a few times.

TedW
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Just my $0.02: I have found cork valve cover gaskets to be a big disappointment: they always seem to leak and break down in short order.

I bought a wicked nifty silicone gasket on ebay (do a search - it will pop right up) for about $18.00: seals up tight and doesn't leak - and lasts a long, long time.

msggunny
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Just my $0.02: I have found cork valve cover gaskets to be a big disappointment: they always seem to leak and break down in short order.

I bought a wicked nifty silicone gasket on ebay (do a search - it will pop right up) for about $18.00: seals up tight and doesn't leak - and lasts a long, long time.

Nice, i was hoping someone would chime in about those. They look like they should work a hell of a lot better than standard cork.

That being said, i have gaskets that are sticky on one side. Stick them to the cover and go to work.

Whiterabbit
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I like to glue them to the part that gets removed from the main engine. When they do go belly up it's a lot less of a hassle to clean them off. The valve cover doesn't have anything to locate the seal and keep it in place so I've had good luck gluing it first and letting it set up then install.

Enigma
07-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks all. The engine does leak a bit of oil and I suspect that the rocker cover gasket is the only source as there is oil all around the upper water pump. Some actually gets down the side of the engine near the front and rear seals and maybe a bit around the fuel pump. I will update when I get a chance.

Cheers John