PDA

View Full Version : Won't start

nate6472
07-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I was idling my 2.25 and after about 15 minutes it just stopped. The carb is getting fuel, fuel pump and filter are new, the sparks and air filter are new. I ordered a new coil. I have sprayed starter fluid in the carb. What else can I do, check or replace? Thanks in advance.

Boston
07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
It got bored just sitting there doing nothing.

nate6472
07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
All new lights and lens were being installed during that time

Les Parker
07-05-2012, 12:09 PM
So, are the plugs wet? This would indicate if you are geting fuel to the engine.

nate6472
07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
So, are the plugs wet? This would indicate if you are geting fuel to the engine.

Thanks, another thing to check.

SafeAirOne
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I have sprayed starter fluid in the carb.

What happpened when you tried to start it after spraying a bit of starting fluid in it?

If 'nothing', then fuel isn't your problem and it'll most likely be ignition (or lack thereof). In that case, check all the normal tune-up stuff and if it all looks OK and is within specification, replace the cheap consumable bits (cap, rotor, condensor, points) then move on to the more expensive stuff. For it to stop outright, it's unlikely to be an individual plug or plug wire that is the problem.

nate6472
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
What happpened when you tried to start it after spraying a bit of starting fluid in it?

If 'nothing', then fuel isn't your problem and it'll most likely be ignition (or lack thereof). In that case, check all the normal tune-up stuff and if it all looks OK and is within specification, replace the cheap consumable bits (cap, rotor, condensor, points) then move on to the more expensive stuff. For it to stop outright, it's unlikely to be an individual plug or plug wire that is the problem.

I have ordered a coil from RN and will give it a go when it arrives. If nothing, I plan on replacing the cap, rotor arm, points and condenser. In the mean time I have been cleaning the outside and top of card with a carb cleaner. All this attempting to start has weakened the battery, so it was replaced. I attempted to start via jumping from another vehicle as well. Does not turn over as fast as I would like, but could because of weak primary battery.

nate6472
07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks, another thing to check.

Plugs wet with petrol. It is getting plenty of air, so must be something electric. Working with RN now on getting points and condenser. What else could it be?

SafeAirOne
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I know it's in a (pre-Defender) 110, but it's a Series engine. You might want to have a look in the 'Series Rover' area of this forum. There's an exact-same thread going on right now titled "Restored Series III 109 2.25 Won't Restart". That'll tell you everything you need to know.

If not, I dare say that there's a LOT larger 2.25 knowledge pool over there than over here.

nate6472
07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks

nate6472
07-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks

Found the problem - main wire out of coil to distributor had fallen out - so simple ! Coil hangs upside down. Replace coil anyway and will keep old as a field spare along with all the other ignition parts I just ordered. Oh well,