PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Problems

savagedrivers
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
My 96 Disco has been overheating for about a week now. I have been unable to get it into a shop, but generally the age old "turn the heat on full blast" has been working to get the temperature back down quickly. Yesterday however it overheated and blew the "radiator filler cap" off. Now I have part of the cap stuck in the radiator, and though I have ordered a new cap am trying to find a solution to this dilemma as soon as possible. So I have two questions one, if I am able to plug the whole where the cap is, will I be able to drive it until I can get the peice fully removed and the new one installed, and two, should I be worried that there is a bigger issue with the radiator that caused the mishap with the cap yesterday! Please help!!!!!!

antichrist
07-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about the plastic plug on the battery side of the radiator. Well, I'd start by pulling the radiator, turn it upside down and pick out the pieces. Then use a garden hose to clean out the fins, they are probably clogged with debris.
There's a good chance the radiator tubes are clogged and you need it rodded, but you could try it again before taking it to a radiator shop to get it checked.
The fact that the plug blew out, however, could very well mean you have a blown head gasket. There are tests for combustion gases in the coolant. NAPA sells a kit or a radiator shop could probably do it.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7001006_0361139896

ThePhotographer
07-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Whatever you do, I would recommend NOT driving it. Engines aren't too keen on running hot.

mearstrae
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a blown head gasket and driving it will only make matters worse (i.e.:more expensive...). My wife drove our R.R.C. after over heating and cracking the radiator, it not only warped the heads and blew both head gaskets but it dropped two cylinder liners.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Boston
07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
My original engine either went porous or blew a HG at 156k pulled all the useful parts off it and put them on another engine I got for $500 that in good shape and half the mileage.
Now to finish the half chassis build. Then I might take a look inside the old unit.