X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eggman
    Low Range
    • Aug 2011

4-wheel drive selector install

Ok, so I was a knucklehead and didn't take pics of the 4-wheel drive selector sequence when I took it apart and now re-installing from memory it seems wrong. Does anyone know the sequence that it goes back together. What I am looking for is :

Yellow knob
    nut
    plate
    spring
    spring retaining sleeve

If this is the right sequence then my spring retaining sleeve must be broke part number 234658. Pics would help also! Thanks in advance! I have looked in all the manuals and it doesn't show where the trim plate is in the sequence. Btw it is a 1971 series IIA 88.
  • Revtor
    2nd Gear
    • Apr 2012

The rod comes up through the plate which is bolted to your tunnel. Then you slide the sleeve down the rod (flare side UP) and it fits snugly down into the plate. Then the spring goes down the shaft and rests in the sleeve. Then the nut to hold it all firm (there is a spec on this distance in the manual), then the knob to lock the nut in place. Then you go driving on the beach.

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• 4flattires
      4th Gear
      • Aug 2007

It seems the celebratory frosty beverage step was left out. Si?
      Attached Files
      64 SIIa 109 all stock
      69 SIIa 88 all stock
      Old tractors
      New Harleys
      Old trucks

Comment

• SafeAirOne
        Overdrive
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by 4flattires
        It seems the celebratory frosty beverage step was left out. Si?
        Umm...looking at your second pic, I think the celebratory frosty keg was taken care ahead of time...

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
        (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Revtor
          2nd Gear
          • Apr 2012

Fine, Ill finish the job.
          You must not have an original copy of the green bible I guess.. This is from section ZZ of the green bible, the newer reprints dont have this section so here ya go.

. . . once the parts are installed, find a cooler and fit it to the loadspace of the Rover. Find the 10 foot surf fishing rod and mount it to the roof rack or bumper of the vehicle. Pilot vehicle immediately to your nearest beverage store and pick up a 6 pack of your choice plus ice. Then proceed to Deli and purchase large sandwich. Then proceed to bait store and pick up clams/bunker/etc. Drive to beach head and engage 4-Hi. Drive onto sand and make your way to "secret spot". Turn off vehicle, turn on radio and open beer. Try some fishing inbetween beer drinking. At appropriate occasion eat sandwich. Drink more beer and make another half-assed attempt at catching a fish. Finish beers and fall asleep on beach. Wake up to dead battery and a hangover. Find starting crank handle. Start vehicle. Pack up **** and get home.
          ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
          ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• myoverlandrover
            Low Range
            • May 2010

Am I the only one who has a problem with the spring vibrating in circles down to the point where it goes so far into the plate that it allows the selector to fall and engage 4wd!! Keep meaning to take knob, spring off and slid a washer over whole.
            67 2A, 88", 2.5 NA, ENV axles

Comment

• SafeAirOne
              Overdrive
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by 4link40
              Am I the only one who has a problem with the spring vibrating in circles down to the point where it goes so far into the plate that it allows the selector to fall and engage 4wd!! Keep meaning to take knob, spring off and slid a washer over whole.
              No but you're probably the only one who doesn't have that little piece of flared pipe between the spring and the plate (p/n 234658) to prevent that from happening!

It's shown just sitting on top of the spring in this pic, but when the whole thing is put together, the little pipe will sit in the hole in the cover plate with the flare facing up and the spring sitting above that, in the cup of the flare (NOT in the order shown in the pic below):

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• eggman
                Low Range
                • Aug 2011

Revtor and 4flattires, Thank you for the input! I tried it that way initially but it seemed like it was kinda of stiff and the lever wouldnt go down at all because the spring was too compressed. Maybe something changed when I pulled the tunnel cover off (when I was working on the clutch slave cylinder). I will try your way tomorrow. Thanks again!! By the way love the frosty drink write up. Why couldn't all maint manuals end like that? Life would be much simpler!!!!

Comment

• Revtor
                  2nd Gear
                  • Apr 2012

If the lever is stiff, (more than just spring pressure) then you might need to lube the pivots and linkage under the floor. Go slow, dont force anything. I had a "stiff rod" and broke it due to rough handling. The pivot bolt sheared off clean in the xfer case housing.. I finally got the remains out three weeks later.

That one wrote the celebratory frosty beverage chapter for me!!

~Steve
                  ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
                  ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• myoverlandrover
                    Low Range
                    • May 2010

Brilliant! thank you and its ordered
                    67 2A, 88", 2.5 NA, ENV axles

Comment

• 4flattires
                      4th Gear
                      • Aug 2007

My bad on posting the two pics without further explanation. The pic showing parts disassembled were put that way to prevent the flared pipe from sliding down the shaft while waiting for parts (but kept them from wandering off). I should have called that out.

I am sooooo glad no one called out the dead grass that has made an appearance in that same photo. There are some multi foot long strands still up and about underneath that I have not yet attended to.

Perhaps another pint is in order for that job.
                      64 SIIa 109 all stock
                      69 SIIa 88 all stock
                      Old tractors
                      New Harleys
                      Old trucks

Comment

Working...