PDA

View Full Version : I want a Rochester, but which one?

Winooski
07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
To be brief, I am about to throw my Weber 34ICH in the trash with extreme prejudice. Was working great, but now not so much (losing idle after 10 minutes of normal driving due to persistently loosening fuel shut off solenoid, plus I just hate the thing). Reading the posts here on the forum, the Rochester seems to be the most reliable carb and the easiest (relatively) to maintain. (I have a 1972 109 2.25L with 8:1 head and petronix ignition, nothing too out of the ordinary.) MPG is not an issue, the truck gets driven daily about 1.5 to 2 miles round trip with some occasional longer drives.

The posts say I should be looking for a Rochester B (or BV) with a 31mm venturi. There is some mentioning of their use on old Chevy engines, but I don't have the info at hand to tell me which year, etc Chevy 6 cylinder is the best fit/match.

Those of you with Rochester carbs (that like them), could you shed some light on what I should be looking for? Mounting bolt distance is easy enough to measure, so I am really hoping for that "I wish someone had told me that before I dropped $XXX on this particular carb" info. Ebay has some for sale and am hoping to get this whole thing resolved rather soon.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

albersj51
07-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Patrick,

Give this a read:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rochester.htm

4flattires
07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Patrick, throw that Weber this way, I'll pay postage. I'm wanting to keep the landfills from growing....hehehehehe.

charo63
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I've been very happy with mine so far. It's a B model I believe from an early 50's Chevy truck. I have a guy in my town who rebuilds these and had a shelf full in stock. Cost $120. All I had to do was elongate the mounting holes 1/4" to get the bolts to line up. I recommend it!

Winooski
07-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the info! Great link to the very info I was hoping to find, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Patrick

east high
07-14-2012, 10:46 AM
$120 is a helluva deal for a ready to go Rochester.