PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Switch Question

ocsddep
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
It appears that my Toggle switch which controls the instrument panel light and the Dome light is only working half way. The instrument panel works (1st click) but the Dome light doesn't (2nd click). The switch seems generic enough. Any idea what would work. RN Has one for $114, but I may be looking at the wrong item. I can't believe it would be this expensive. I know that MG, Jaguar, and others use the same switch. This has to be a OFF/ON/ON switch. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Ray

albersj51
07-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Id just buy a generic off/on/on switch that fits the hoke for less than $10. Should be able to get one at radio shack or online

Jim-ME
07-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Have you checked to see if there is possibly power out of the switch and your problem isn't in the dome light?
Jim

SafeAirOne
07-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Good point Jim. I'd take a continuity tester to the switch before I scrapped it.

Also, if you could see inside one of these original Lucas switches, you would see why the contacts become a bit questionalbe over time. Sometimes they just need to be cleaned up a bit. Unfortunately the assemblies can be tricky to reassemble if you let the springs pop off and the levers come out of their slots. It took me an hour and a half of screwing around with my light switch before I got it to work right again when the innards accidentally came apart.

However, the point is that you can open the switch up by prying out the crimps and removing the back and CAREFULLY cleaning up the contacts then reinstall and re-crimp the rear cover.

ocsddep
07-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I don't believe there is any power going out when the switch is positioned to turn on the dome light (2nd ON). There is power when it is positioned to turn on the instrument lights (1st ON). I will try to take apart and clean. I am aware there are $10 switches that will fit the hole , but they won't look the same. I am trying to keep the truck as authentic as possible because it is still all original including the paint.

SafeAirOne
07-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Before you disassemble, you might want to get a continuity tester/ohm meter and make sure that the switch operates in the way that corresponds to the different wire locations. Sometimes the wires don't get put back on in the right spot after being removed and the circuit won't work right.

A quick run through of the switch positions with a continuity tester will tell you exactly how the switch is working. It may be a simple case of 'this wire should go here, not there".

msggunny
07-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Gotta love the "Dark Prince", which i why he got evicted from my SIII.....

TedW
07-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I love that old joke:

Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen don't motor after dark....

ocsddep
07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I love that old joke:

Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen don't motor after dark....

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators

I am thinking that I may have the Lucas 3 position switch (ON/OFF/Flicker)

tjquinn2
07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I've got a 73 Ex Mod and had just a 2 position switch for the dash lights that went south. I bought an aftermarket 2 position switch and it works fine. I also have a separate dome light switch. It seems there's a switch for just about every thing and they're all 2 position... except the wipers, that one is either off or slow. ;-) Gotta love British ingenuity.

Tom Q