PDA

View Full Version : New Series 1

artpeck
07-15-2012, 03:56 PM
For no clear or rational reason I just bought my third rover, a 1957 Series 1, which is in decent shape but I am planning to restore. Any and all tips on parts, resources etc are much appreciated.

Art

4flattires
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
For no clear or rational reason I just bought my third rover.......Art

Oooh...stop right there. First of all CONGRATS!!!! Secondarily, by owning these vehicles we have spoken the vow of not needing clear or rational reasoning for motor vehicle ownership. Now get out there and drip some oil!!!

Pssst....pics...or it didn't happen.

:thumb-up:

artpeck
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks. I think. Oh and adding the to the lack of rational thought I bought it sight unseen. Have photos from the current owner but can't post them from my iPad. So will have to figure that out. Other than that this totally makes sense. Shockingly my wife agreed without any discussion at all which makes me worry about the quid pro quo that is no doubt coming at me.

cmcgahagin
07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Shockingly my wife agreed without any discussion at all which makes me worry about the quid pro quo that is no doubt coming at me.
For someone with a lack of rational thought you have shown yourself a truly wise & knowing man, or you have been married many years.

gudjeon
07-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Congrats!

The 57 ser1 has the most in common with the easily obtainable ser2 parts. The earlier you go in ser1, generally the more difficult to obtain parts and they differ more from other series. A lot of how to restore/rebuild these things depends on what you want to use it for. I rebuilt mine and put a 2.25 petrol in as the original 2 litre is harder to get parts for. It can be done, but it will have to be stuff ordered in from overseas. Exhaust followers wear big time on these side valve engines. Pistons have to come out through the bottom of the block as the con rod is too wide at the bolts to slide up and out. I redid mine as a daily driver so made my own electrical so I could obtain replacements locally. This, along with other easily obtained stuff and ser2 parts so original spirit is retained while being able to keep it going on a daily basis. A nut and bolt originality is a whole different ballgame.

The ser1 is like learning all about Land Rovers all over again. While I originally intended to rebuild one from the 60's I did one from the 50's.