PDA

View Full Version : Whole transmission full of neutral

mearstrae
07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Today a weird thing happened to my SIII Hybrid, I was driving along and shifted into third and then out of overdrive, and I ended up with no power to the wheels in any gear, in or out of overdrive. This is an LT95 with Overdrive hooked to a 3.5L V-8, full time four wheel drive (rather a antique Range Rover drive train). Haven't delved into the problem since the thing arrived home on the flatbed. No noises occurred and nothing out of the ordinary happened while driving along.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

greenmeanie
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
TC hi/lo slipped into neutral? Have you tried locking the center diff as this will help eliminate axle issues from the equation?

SafeAirOne
07-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Is the rear drive shaft turning when you're going nowhere? If so, check the hub drive flanges--The axle will spin but all the splines on the drive flange will be worn off, causing you to go absolutely nowhere. Not sure how this works out on a full-time 4wd setup though...

jonnyc
07-22-2012, 06:52 PM
My first thought also was that a rough shift may have knocked the Hi-Lo shifter out of place.

mearstrae
07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
All shafts turning by hand (all turn together because it's full time 4WD now) while all wheels are off the ground, still in Hi on the transfer case. Have to delve into the clutch system (seems like it doesn't engage), and then the trans and overdrive. Got to put it on the back burner until I can get time for seriously checking things.

'96 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

Firemanshort
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
on my LT95 w/OD - I had a very similiar issue at a MAR a few years back. It turns out that the OD shifter had sheared or lost is cotter pin and that casued the OD shifter to be misaligned and the gear selector shaft to fall into a neutral position. It was a simple 5 minute fix but a huge 30 second moment of panic as I sat with a motionless rover 200+ miles from home.

mearstrae
07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Took a quick look at things today, not lucky enough that it was the selector cotter pin (or anything easy). Trans and transfer seem OK, pulled the O.D. unit back to check it out, only to find you can't take it out with my set up, without pulling either the whole trans set up or making an access hole in the floor. Well we'll save that for another weekend. Luckily I have a spare O.D. unit, if that's the problem.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S