PDA

View Full Version : Tools to carry

nate6472
07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Does anyone have a list of the tools and sizes to carry onboard? I would rather only carry the sizes that fit than a complete socket and open end set for example, when only 3 of those fit a rover. Thanks

4flattires
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
A lengthy thread covered this some time ago. A search should bring it up. Lots of pics/advice/humor.

SafeAirOne
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Yep. There have been a few threads about that on this board...

As a bit of a side point, if I am carrying tools (I usually don't), then I carry them to fix both my stuff AND somebody in need's stuff as a good Samaritan. Plus, after several years as an aircraft mechanic, I really need to know that all my tools are there after a job is finished. That's hard to do with a few of these and a couple of those...

jonnyc
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
When you drive an old Rover, people expect that you have lots of tools and know-how. The more tools I carry.....the less I need to know. If they need something fixed and I have the right tool, they believe I am much more capable than I actually am. It's a win-win situation. I carry my basic tool box in a battered old 1950s(?) Craftsman tool box. It adds to the whole manly persona.

sunnyeveryday
07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRSpares.htm

TerriAnne has a wealth of information on her web site. Its a goldmine. I have read every item and printed many out and put them into sheet protectors in a binder. Its part of my, rapidly building, kit.

smukai
07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I carry whatever fits. And the further I travel from home, the more that fits in the back of my truck.

Unfortunately, this only reminds me of "Long Way Round". When one of the bikes breaks down, they have a plethora of SnapOn tools and no idea how to fix it. Yup, that's me.

SafeAirOne
07-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, this only reminds me of "Long Way Round". When one of the bikes breaks down, they have a plethora of SnapOn tools and no idea how to fix it. Yup, that's me.

Don't you have 2 support vehicles and 6 people following you around?? That seemed to work out for Ewan and Charlie.

I Leak Oil
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
On a series rover you can do a lot with 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8" wrenches, vice grips, screw drivers and a hammer. Unfortunatly there are lots of other size wrenches and other tools that are required for the other 50% of the vehicle. It really depends on what you plan on fixing.

SafeAirOne
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure what the goal of not carrying a complete set of sockets and wrenches is here. Weight savings? Space savings? Money savings?

I can tell you exactly what size wrench/socket you'll need to fix your rover in the field--You'll need the size that you left at home because it wasn't on your list.

Dietersrover
07-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, You have some great reply's here. So I wont go over every little thing I carry with me, but I do keep most of it in one of those Army Green water proof boxes in the compartment under the seat.
I do try to keep a extra set of plug wires, Distributor cap with points and a condenser. Basic Socket set and metric spanners.
And a extra ignition coil.68296830

Revtor
07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
At a minimum I'd carry 2 sets of 3/8 through 5/8 wrenches, screwdrivers, needle nose/slip joint/vise grip pliers, and a hammer. These should get you to the problem. Obviously the deeper you go the more specialized the tools can get. A full set of sockets/extensions, wrenches up to 3/4 and a few oddball sizes, dykes, nitrile gloves, wire brushes, can of WD/PB, a rag or 3, some baling wire, thin string, electrical wire, small DVM, duct tape, and a small tarp for lying on wet ground/collecting dripping fluid would be added for more extensive traveling. All of this doesn't take up too much space.
Tire changing kit is a given -a lug wrench that fits, and a jack.

If I use it to work on my truck, it goes in my truck's toolbox, plain and simple.

Do you guys take the green bible? Parts of it? Chiltons? I'd bring at least a printout of the electrical diagram and carb exploded view.

Enjoy, preparing is a fun process!!
~Steve

o2batsea
07-25-2012, 08:27 PM
AAA card for towing services, hotel discounts, etc.
In addition, a length of (minimum 1/4") chain, some stout rope like 3/4", and some random rigging hardware like shackles, links and hooks. People will sometimes offer a tow, but have nothing to hook you up with. Besides that stuff should always be in your truck anyway.

A close second to the AAA card is a fire extinguisher. Maybe that should be first but whatever, you must have one handy. I know it's not a tool but if it puts out a fire that would otherwise consume the entire vehicle it is invaluable.

In addition to the many fine suggestions above I submit the following:

Rags and paper towels.
A funnel.
Empty large can, like a coffee can or peach tin. Dry and clean. Add a little gas or diesel and you have an instant small parts washer.
Ziplocs.
Zip ties
Steel baling wire. Yes, it still is your best buddy.
large plastic syringe
large hemostats
cutting board of some kind
bic lighter
RTV silicone (which I loath by the way, but it's good in a pinch)

TeriAnn
07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRSpares.htm

TerriAnne has a wealth of information on her web site. Its a goldmine. I have read every item and printed many out and put them into sheet protectors in a binder. Its part of my, rapidly building, kit.

Thank you for the kind endorsement. Writing in that web site has been a hobby of mine for almost 15 years now..

Anyway, I figure I need to put my tools somewhere so most go inside the truck between the passenger seat back and the behind the seat bulkhead. A 109 regular has a lot more space there than an 88. A 30 cal ammo box just fits the space width wise. I have a little shelf the box sits on. I keep a long pry bar and torque wrench under the shelf, most of the tools in the box on the shelf, a carrier with the sockets on top of the box and a carrier with combination wrenches on top of the socket carrier. In the outside corner alongside the ammo box is the big hub socket, some rags and now that I have EFI, a fuel pressure gauge.

The 12V work light with long power line sits behind the middle seat.

Behind the drivers side seat is a roll of electrical hookup wire, a roll of galvanized wire, the hose and fittings for my 12V compressor, and some recovery gear.

My nuts & bolts box gets stored in a rear cabinet along with any spare parts I carry.

These things just live in my truck and not the garage so there is no special loading for trips.