PDA

View Full Version : Torque settings on fluid drains

sunnyeveryday
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
OK - First, newbie alert. As in newbie Land Rover owner and newbie mechanic. Saying that, I am ex electronics and now IT which means I'm a techie and brought up on precision.

So, I've just changed all the fluids, but can't find any torque figures for the drains on the engine, gearbox etc.

I have an impression it is between 15 and 25 ft. lbs. but as a techie I would like more precise figures. The figures I have gleaned from various sites seem to be all about the engine and transmission internals and the drain plugs are not listed.

Anyone have a source for actual figures ?

Thanks...

albersj51
07-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Land Rover was big on torque specs. Good-n-tight seems to be a good, albeit vague, rule.

stomper
07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
just torque them at tight as you dare, and so they don't leak. If they do leak, tighten them up more. It ain't rocket science. Most people didn't have torque wrenches in the bush, and these things aren't ferraris.

artpeck
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
If precision and clear engineering logic are important to you you may be courting heartbreak owning a land rover :)

Revtor
07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
tighten them until your wrench ends up at the same position as when you took em out.

use new copper washers every few changes.

TedW
07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
You need to be very careful with the swivel drains: The heads are big compared to the threads, and you can snap them off if you torque them too much. They also use a crush washer that should be replaced every time you drain / refill.

sunnyeveryday
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes, they are tight and not leaking. As I said, I have a whole bunch of figures from various online manuals and was just wanting to know what the deal was in these plugs. I would hate for them to unscrew and leak. I guess I will be checking them after every drive just in case. And watching for oil spots. But there again, I hear land Rovers leak at the best of times.

I'll learn. Just a bit nervous being a 'trainee' mechanic.

:-)

jac04
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I guess I will be checking them after every drive just in case. And watching for oil spots.

That's funny. Oh, and if you don't see any oil spots then you're in trouble.

sunnyeveryday
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
:thumb-up:

smukai
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Tight enough to keep them weeping.

SafeAirOne
07-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I guess I will be checking them after every drive just in case.

I'd also recommend checking them before every drive--you never know...

o2batsea
07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Throw some extra plugs in your spares kit, along with their respective sealing washers. Those, along with the spare fluids you have on board, should get you out of any jams.