PDA

View Full Version : S2 transmission project

Roverlab
07-25-2012, 07:34 AM
I have a S2 here in the shop that has a noisy pilot bushing. Before calling the customer and just replacing the pilot bushing, we took a look at the fluid levels and oil condition in the transmission and transfer case. There is a lot of fine metal in suspension in the oil as well as big flakes. The transmission and transfer case both operate nicely and relatively quietly (for a vehicle with agricultural origins, that is!).
One option is to replace the transmission and transfer case with rebuilt units to expedite the repairs, but was considering fitting a later S3 with synchros and a diaphragm clutch. Any chance any one has all of the bits for clutch release ie: fork, pivot, clips, clutch hydraulic pipe etc. for a S3 LHD?

o2batsea
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Trevor I seem to recall that an S3 setup interferes with the frame. When Bobeck and I did the frame swap to NEWHERE back in '96 this was one of the first issues we ran into. We thought we were all brainy and stuff using a synchro box. Pah! I can't remember what we did but I think there was a Sawzall involved.

scatterling
07-26-2012, 04:59 AM
I does interfere with the frame but it's not to bad to cut out the chunk. As for the other pieces, I'll give you a call.

Les Parker
07-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Trevor,

You could fit the IIa bellhousing to the Series IIII Gearbox and leave the clutch as it is......

This would only work on the Suffix B> Transmissions, the front bearings are different on the A Suffix Series II Gearboxes. :(