PDA

View Full Version : A Little Progress w/ The Gray Rover (Pics)

Bostonian1976
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, on this rainy weekend I toyed around w/ the gray Rover a bit more....

here's a few pictures of working lights, etc. Everything works w/ the exception of the right wiper motor (you can see it's pulling power by dimming lights, but does not spin). Nice to see some life coming out of it. Even the horn makes a very muted, brief "meep" now

The big news was that the STARTER spun! But apparently the solenoid didn't kick in because it just spun and spun. I doubt any of this stuff has seen any electricity in over 20 years beyond a brief hookup I did a month ago....

Engine is still soaking in Marvel. I realize that hitting the starter switch while the engine is stuck probably wasn't the best idea, but the engine is thoroughly soaked in oil and I was playing...

Bostonian1976
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
one more

a109
05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
The starter issue won't be the solenoid since these are not solenoid engaged. They have an inerta bendix drive that throws the gear out to engage the ring.
These get stuck with sitting etc. A quick clean will usually get them working freely. do NOT use any grease or liquid lube on it as this will gather dirt and stuff and soon jam it up again. Dry graphite lube works well though.

Good job on getting all the lights working.
John

Tim Smith
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow! You would think the starter would work with only 41,567.5 miles on the clock. :p

Looking good. You know that by working with the electrics first that you are embarking on the hardest task you can possibly take on. Some might say an un-win-able battle. Good luck.
:thumb-up:

Bostonian1976
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Ha...I think that starter said...."what the......you want me to turn?? I haven't done that in years!!!"

Of course...I'm not sure how smart I'm being getting electronics going (actually they didn't need much at all.....most worked right away)......

after all, it needs a new frame so I'm not sure how much good working electronics are going to be :)

Oh oh........and I think I turned the engine a few weeks ago. I was turning the nut counter clockwise and thought I moved it, but then realized I just unscrewed the nut from the engine..........but, after turning clockwise again, I'm pretty sure once tightened that the engine was moving just a bit....

another amazing thing to me is that the fuel guage works. I thought those always stopped working when they sat. It definitely works though.....if I rock the truck a bit to move the fuel in the tank (wonder how old THAT is), the guage will bounce a bit too

Tim Smith
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
another amazing thing to me is that the fuel guage works

OMG! Are you sure this truck isn't actually named Christine?!? :eek:

Bostonian1976
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
OMG! Are you sure this truck isn't actually named Christine?!? :eek:

well......I did think it was odd when some 50's music came on the radio........and then I remembered I had no radio :D

Tim Smith
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
LOL!!!
:thumb-up: