PDA

View Full Version : big bulkhead bolt stuck

73series88
07-27-2012, 02:58 PM
hey
are the big bolts that hold the bulkhead down to the frame hardened?

i had to cut one off because it woludnt come out

and ive gone through a whole pack of titanium bits with little progess
im on my last nerve here! its been holding me up for a couple of days now
and im getting pissed.
just cracked my head on the outrigger to. MORE TO FOLLOW
thanks
AARON68556856AZS

thixon
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I just typed a reply, but it doesn't look like to showed up. If it doubles up just ignore one of 'em.

If you have an oxy/acet set up, put the heat to it and then pound it out. If not, you can also push it out using a big gear puller. I prefer to use something like a posi-lock puller. That type allows you to lock the jaws around the outrigger so the puller won't pop off. The posi-lock is also good for removing stuck steering relays (never had one yet I could'nt remove). If you need help, email me at tdhixon@gmail.com.

Apis Mellifera
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Heat. That's what it took for mine. MAPP gas was enough. I tried various methods of beating on it, drilling too, only fire worked.

jp-
07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Thixon, which puller (model #) did you use to pull the steering relay? I've got a really stuck one I need to remove.

And how much do the pullers cost?

thixon
07-30-2012, 07:50 AM
JP,

Sorry for the late reply. I'll check tonight when I get home and let you know. Google posi-lock gear puller. The one I use for relays it pretty big. Its a two jaw puller that will spread 15" or so.

I can tell you they're expensive. They cost around $300 new. If you're in a pinch, I'll be glad to let you borrow mine, as long as you ship it back quick once you're done.

73series88
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Nothings working
I got a mapp torch
Not moving with heat
Wont drill out
And wont beat out
I'm ****ing done
I've been working on this one bolt for
Days
I have no idea what to do from here
If I could weld I'd cut off the bullhead leg
Anymore ideas?
Thanks
Aaron

stonefox
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Have you all ready cut the hex head off? If not get on it with a good air gun and try beating it back and forth.You have been soaking it right?

I Leak Oil
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Aaron, Sounds like you need a bigger torch and a long breaker bar. As Sean asked....hopfully you didn't cut of the hex end of the bolt. If you did, perhaps you could weld the nut on the threaded end and use it. (you didn't cut that off right?) Other than that I think your best bet is to burn it out with a torch and hope for the best.

73series88
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Ok
I'll try

73series88
07-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Got it
Holy **** that was a bitch
I'm gonna do a frame thread
Thanks
Aaron

thixon
07-30-2012, 08:07 PM
JP, here's a couple photos of the puller w/ the model number.

73 Series88,
Calm down. First, when I say heat, I mean heat. I'm assuming you're using a small mapp gas torch from lowe's/home depot. That aint gonna cut it. You need to get hold of an oxy/acet setup with a rose bud on the torch. When I say heat it up, I mean get the whole damn thing glowing cherry arse red. Then start trying to drift it out.

Alternatively, you can get a large puller like the one in the photos I attached. The locking mechanism will allow you to line it up slightly off center without the puller going to pieces or popping off.

Email me if you need help.

I Leak Oil
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Got it
Holy **** that was a bitch
I'm gonna do a frame thread
Thanks
Aaron

Sweet! Let us know the gory details when you have the energy!

stonefox
07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Nice! now butter that puppy up so Liam can get it out 20 yrs from now :)

thixon
07-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Sorry man, I didn't see your post about finally getting it unstuck. Congrats! Rusty stuck stuff can be frustrating.