PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump issues

pyounts
07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Ooops! I let my Series III run out of gas and now it won't start. I unhooked the fuel filter and no gas is getting that far now. When this first happened, I cranked and cranked before I realized it had no gas in it (pretty stupid).

Anyway, before I go taking the fuel pump off does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some kind of priming steps I have to take to get the fuel pump to work?

4flattires
07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I always put fuel in the tank as my first step. :thumb-up:

disco2hse
07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Assuming you have a facet pump, it is self priming.

mearstrae
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
If it has a Facet elec. pump, try wacking it with a wooden mallet. Sounds silly but I had a Jag owner loan me his mallet for just that purpose on my S III, years ago, and it worked (the mallet actually had a Land Rover logo on it, maybe from an SIII tool kit...). I have since installed a Carter elec. pump, which requires no wacking.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

pyounts
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Must be something else wrong then. Guess I'll have to see if their is trash somewhere or if the pump is not working. Thanks!

pyounts
07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, I'll smack it around a little first.

pyounts
07-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Is that a standard type electric pump available anywhere?

disco2hse
07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
What do mean "standard type electric pump"?

You need to specify what kind you currently have. Is it the pump type on 1N-07 (2.6l petrol) or 1N-08 (2.6l to 109V8) of the parts catalogue?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter that much, provided you choose an electric pump that provides fuel at the correct flow rate and pressure.

The purolater-facet pump I have used recently (2x that is) is part number 476088E on page http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php but you will need to determine what part you require, depending on your year and engine.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/Schematic_pics/476088N.JPG

ignotus
07-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I didn't see that you said you have an electric pump. If you have the standard 2.25 engine it has a mechanical pump just behind the distributor. The pump does have a lever on it for priming the system. If so take the hose off at the carb and pump fuel up to there and then reconnect. When you try to start the motor it should fill the float bowl and then start.

gene

jonnyc
07-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Pyounts never said he had anything but a standard mechanical pump.
Please, what kink of pump do you have? Might make this a more clear and usable thread.

pyounts
07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
It is mechanical and I will look to see what kind it is. I think it is original on my 1972 Series III.

artpeck
07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
You might have sucked up gunk. I would start by taking off the line to the tank at the pump and blowing air back into the tank. Also do you have gas in the glass bowl? Work from the pick up tube forward before you take the pump off.

jonnyc
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Go one more step backwards and clean out/off the pick-up in the tank first.

pyounts
07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks! Didn't get to it today but I know where to start.

dabawei
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Similar happing to me!
What could be reason of no fuel reaching to Carb in below case?

Last two weeks the fuel stop reaching the carb, then I did change the fuel pump and it works again (by the way the first pump was new!)

Today again the petrol stop reaching the carb! I did the following with no help:
1. Remove the fuel supply pipe from carb the I did leverage fuel manually by the fuel pump it was little hard but fuel does not come out
2. I fill the pipe connected to carb with fuel then leverage again and it was very soft and engine did not start! Had some starting spark.
3. The glass bowl does contain fuel
4. My S2a there are two fuel tank and one with enough fuel and second is empty, the active one is with fuel.

What do you advice?

Is two tank should contain enough fuel? And because of no fuel in one tank air comes in the piping?

Thanks in advance

stomper
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Try taking the fuel line off the fuel pump that goes to the carb, and see if you have fuel
Coming out there while manually priming the pump. Also see if you can blow air through the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. It sounds like you have crud in your fuel lines.

siiirhd88
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
If there is any leakage on the lines or connections from the tank to the fuel pump, the fuel pump will draw in air instead of fuel. If you have the factory fuel tank swapover valve, the cork disc inside the valve can harden or shrink. This could allow air inleakage or not actually isolate the empty tank. The screen on the bottom of the tank pickup tube can become clogged, and I have had a small hole in the pickup tube prevent fuel pickup when the tank level dropped below the hole. If the fuel tank or cap is not vented, the fuel pump can pull a vacuum on the tank preventing fuel flow.

Bob
'02 DII SE Kalahari
'02 DII SD
'97 RR Vitesse
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

dabawei
08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
If there is any leakage on the lines or connections from the tank to the fuel pump, the fuel pump will draw in air instead of fuel.

I got it :D Since in landrover the golden rule to keep fuel in the tank, and I am having two petrol tank, the second got empty and air comes into the lines.

I run the engine by putting some fuel in carb then it run from second try.

Thanks all for help :)

sleam
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I am having the same problem, a vapor lock type of thing when after I drive for a while, the SIII won't restart for me. We've put aluminum foil around the hoses, next is to get a new pump, and new fuel filter. I'll add some length to the hoses so they avoid the manifold. Any other suggestions?
thanks!

stomper
09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Fuel bypass filter and a return line to te tank. Use the search function, there are pictures.