PDA

View Full Version : Series Parts Find

parrie
07-31-2012, 07:12 AM
FYI all series owners...Came across an ad on Craiglist (Maine / posted under "land rover" for sale) offering a pile of NOS, used, and old series parts for sale. Based on the description and pictures there appears to be alot of good parts including cylinder heads, a turbo, pistons, brake parts, ball joints, clutch parts, etc. The owner is asking $1000 for the lot and will not break-out the parts separatley. I could use some of the parts advertised but I don't need a $1000 of extra parts and am not interested in becoming a parts dealer. I plan to make a trip this weekend to see exactly what is included. Take a look at the ad on craigslist, if anyone is interested in any of these parts and would like to pool some cash together please let me know.

jac04
07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Here is a link:
http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/3170527003.html

Doesn't look like $1000 worth of parts to me, but maybe there are a few treasures in there or maybe the turbos are worth something (looks like 2 of them in the pictures).

TeriAnn
07-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Looks like a pig in a poke to me. Without actually looking at the parts up close and with a micrometer you may be looking at a pile consisting mostly of worn take off parts that should be in the recycle bin. Maybe a burned out turbo. Maybe worn pistons. Maybe cracked heads. The assembled one is a 7:1 head. The bare rusty stripped head appears to be a 8:1 head. Could be someone stripped the head for rebuilding and found a crack in a valve pocket or something else.

A good price if everything was new and in the box. But really scary for mostly used parts that could be at the end of or past their useful service life. With a little bit of milling, the pistons might be weighted cup holders I guess. used parts sight unseen can be really scary.

parrie
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree, may just be a pile of scrap metal but I see a fair amount of new parts that I could use. It's only a 2hr ride for me so I figure it's at least worth a look. I spoke w/ the owner and he mentioned that he had some other parts not shown in the pictures that are included as well. He's going to have a tough time getting $1000 anywhere let alone at his location...very few series owners in Maine and it's a long drive to Pembroke to look at a pile of what could be junk. I'll take a road trip and offer him a fair price for the items I can use and see where it goes from there. I'll report back should there be something good.

mongoswede
08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
But these are old rover parts. I know that these are worth their weight in gold because all old rovers sell for millions of dollars :D

parrie
08-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Could be gold there somewhere...could be a wasted trip...I can't resist.

antichrist
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Reminds me of the Dodge(?) dealer in Brattleboro, VT in the 80's. They had a bunch of parts on shelves in the basement they wanted to get rid of. It was all new stuff but a lot was out of the boxes, labels missing, etc. I looked at the stuff but they wanted something like $5,000 for it all. I have no idea what they ended up selling it for. More than likely for scrap. Maybe our hosts bought it.