PDA

View Full Version : Brake shoes that aren't completely terrible?

Apis Mellifera
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I've got maybe 1000 miles on my complete brake rebuild. I started getting some squealing from the front. That turned into shrieking. Now the sound is akin to tomcat cage match amplified through a Marshall stack. I took the offending wheel off last night and found a lot of brake dust and the friction material on one shoe slightly cracked. I reassembled, adjusted both fronts, and went for a drive. Quiet with nice firm pedal. I went for a drive that has a rather steep hill (flatlanders would call "a mountain") and at the bottom I had some hot brake stink. A few miles later the shrieking was back.

Before the inspection/adjustment, the sound was definitely not there when the brakes were cold and very pronounced when hot. Same is the case now. The brake dust did not appear contaminated and there are no leaks in the front. Drum was nice and shiny and smooth.

Shoes (proline) or something else? What is the currently recommended shoe for an 88 that balances price and no-squeekiness/good stoppiness?

SafeAirOne
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
You mean the squeaking and squealing ISN'T normal?

I thought it was a safety feature--an audio warning in addition to the visual warning that the brake lights provide when you're stopping, especially on mornings following rainy nights...

pjsank
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Braking after going through a deep puddle of water is 'Russian Roulette' exciting. Never quite sure what is going to happen.

I Leak Oil
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Mintex has been the better of all evils for rover brake shoes from what I've experienced. Rover drum brakes are just plain terrible no matter how you cut them. I love it when people say how they're just fine, as long as they're in good nick....To me, that's the problem. They're hardly ever in good nick for very long.

bobzinak
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Squealing brakes, been there, the easy fix is to camfer the leading edge of the brake shoes at about 45 degrees. with my shoes it did the trick. it seemed that the sharp edge on the drum caused it to vibrate, causing the squealing. it worked well. some say you have to use only rover shoes...hope this helps..ROVE ON..bobzinak

Jim-ME
08-02-2012, 03:20 AM
This is the reason that I will be going to disc brakes. I have had no luck with any of the new shoes fitting properly. I also think that most places do not store their new drums flat which I have been told by a close friend is the reason that even a new drum needs to be turned.
Jim