PDA

View Full Version : Front end squeak! Bit Long.

Crash
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
2000 Disco II approx. 130,00km.

Lots of questions but perhaps someone has had the same experience. Searching the net tonight and found a few clues but often times after the problems was posted no followup on the solutions.

Had a not too loud rusty hinge sound from the front end when turning the steering wheel. Was certain it was one of the ball joints on the passenger side. P/U new ones from our host and was all set to install but I could not duplicate the noise. Left for a fishing trip and drove about 600km and no noise - not even on the fairly rough trail into the camp.

Truck sits for a week or so and guess what its back! Started to dig into again so I pulled the steering damper and the noise is still there. Yet on a test drive the noise is not consistent. Nothing in a straight line and sometimes turning left and sometimes turning right.

If a tie rod end is loose you can often detect that by moving it around - does the same apply to a ball joint? If I try try to wiggle the wheel around when it is off the ground it seems tight. New drag link installed relatively recently and the tie rods ends on the track rod look okay.

I did have HD rover springs on the front now replaced with OME and the noise was there before the switch - about a 1.5" lift. But the new springs were on for my trip when I could not detect the noise again. Would the Panhard bushings have any bearing on this? On the rear new springs accentuated an issue with the bushings on the watts linkage.

Any ideas on how to verify the ball joints are good or bad or techniques to isolate the noise? Other ideas?

C

ThePhotographer
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Does the noise go away after driving for a long period of time, or does that have any change?

Crash
08-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Not sure. Did not notice it after truck came out of storage for the season or after first trip of the year. It was noticed after it sat around for a period before a second trip. Thats when the ball joints were suspected by a mechanic. After pulling the steering stabilizer and reinstalling coincidently - no apparent noise. Long trip no noise. After 1 week in drive - noise.

Will be back looking at it later this morning. Unfortunately no Indy shops nearby.