PDA

View Full Version : Limestone 38505a vs PPG 46251

Skeeball
08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I had 2 qts of limestone mixed up by the local body shop supply house They used PPG 46251 but when I got it home noticed it is much lighter and looks like a milky white. The Limestone 38505A I got from tower paint is a dead ringer for the original Limestone which has a more yellowish charachter to it.
Why is there such a difference between the too?

TedW
08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I know with metaphysical certainty that Tower 38505A is a dead-on match. I've bought from them numerous times (both limestone and LOTS of pastel green) and they have always nailed the color.

Could be that your local guy just got it wrong.

SafeAirOne
08-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Are they different colors when they're wet or dry? I'd compare 2 dry samples if you haven't already.

Skeeball
08-05-2012, 05:38 AM
There is always the chance for error but I doubt it . The color is the same when dry way too light. The 38504 is dead on the ppg is way too light.
I will talk to the paint guy Monday and find out why this is happening. I would think that they would both be the same , or very close to eachother. I realize there are differences in the paint bases and tints but they should be a relatively close match. The difference in this case is very noticeable, they're not even close

I Leak Oil
08-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Wrong paint codes?

thixon
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Did you stir it well, or just open the can and look? Auto paint tints don't stay in suspension as long as something like latex house paint. They can settle out on the way home from the paint store.

Skeeball
08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Yep stirred it well applied a sample to one of my freshly painted DuPont limestone wheels Its not even close. I was at the paint shop today and in a nutshell PPG vs Dupont= different tints and manufacturers different take on Limestone.
SD if one wants the shade of Land Rover color that we are all MOST familiar with one shopuld be using Dupont paint and the cooresponding 5 digit code Number
The paint guy was able to match Dupont limestone based on a sample I already sprayed using the DuPont code ..