PDA

View Full Version : Brake Drum Stuck!!

esquivelia
05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Anyone have any tricks besides beating the hell out of it?:mad:

71 series 2a. I've loosened the adjuster and have tried rapping on it.
but wondering if anyone has any insight about getting the brake drums off.

Maybe heat?

thanks Cory-

a109
05-21-2007, 07:48 PM
After you have removed the holding screw/s find the threaded hole in the drum face provided for a 3/8 bolt to screw in to push the drum off.

John

Tim Smith
05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Okay so I'm assuming you are getting no movement, so we're not talking about the shoes hanging.

I might be mistaken, it's been a while, but can't the drums rust themselves to the hubs? Can't remember if this was ever the case on my rover but if the shoes are not what is hanging you on up, then clean the hub with a wire wheel and if need be, use a large pulley clamp (if the 3/8 bolt on the face is stripped, or not accessible) to slip it loose. Light tapping on the side of the drum as you add torque.

Oh, and make sure that little flat head screw on the face of the drum has been removed. The head strips easily on it, and I don't think I replaced mine last time I did the brakes.

Good luck! :thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
05-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been there on my II-A! The trick is the one recommended; find a threaded bolt with a 3/8" head and screw it into that small hole. Sorry, but I can't remember if its a coarse thread or a fine thread. It looks implausible that it will help, but it will push the drum away from the shoes and the backing plate.

If you rap the drum, do so on the outer lip only, and not all in one place. It's easy to fracture a drum. Heat doesn't do much because the drum is so large.

Good luck,

Jeff

Les Parker
05-22-2007, 10:18 AM
The threads are 3/8" coarse, should be able to pick one up a good hardware shop, worth keeping alongside the hubnut tool # RNF406.:)

singingcamel
05-22-2007, 05:49 PM
you can try the 3/8 bolt trick and it should come off, rubber hammer will work for that added punch,(watch your forehead).. usually there is so much gear oil in this area i doubt if its rusted on,my cases any way..prying on the backing plate will onlly bend it so prying is not a option.
also light taps with a hammer will loosen things up,not hard you can brake the drum. try pb blaster a soak it from the inside,inside the drum may help as well..good luck:thumb-up:
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

esquivelia
05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I can't believe i didn't see the tapped hole in the drum. I was even looking for it. It was nice and dark out though. I just poped it off.

Thanks for all the help guys. :thumb-up:

LaneRover
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
We've all not known or forgotten about the screws at onetime or another. My favorite is thinking that you have all the screws off but you missed one!

LaneRover