PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa model year argument

parrie
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Ok, need someone to settle a Series IIa model year argument...recently purchased what was advertised as a 1961 SII. Before purchasing I surfed the net for several hours but I still do not know what separates a late SII from an early SIIa. The serial number comes up as manufactured in October of 1961 so I'm thinking it is actually a 1962 model year which would definately make it a SIIa but the previous owner was ademant that it was built in 1961 therefore it is a 1961 SII. As I mentioned, I've been surfing the net trying to confirm one way or the other but I cannot find a definitive answer. Can someone enlighten me...or at least give it a shot?

ThePhotographer
08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Is your new truck a petrol or diesel?

Les Parker
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Can you post the Serial Number from the chassis?

That could settle it.

:)

Jim-ME
08-08-2012, 02:43 PM
IIRC would not a S2 have the crank vent openers and a S2a have the lever type? The only true way to know is as has already been mentioned Serial Number.
Jim

TeriAnn
08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Near as I can tell the changeover was more of a blend caused by using up parts so there is no distinct yes no cutoff.

Here are some characteristics normally associated with SII vs SIIA

1. Top scuttle vent hinges - SII bolted to bulkhead. SIIA welded to bulkhead

2. Under instrument shelf door limit tube - SII bolted to bulkhead. SIIA welded to bulkhead.

3. voltage regulator & fuse box - SII screwed to subpanel attached to bulkhead on short legs. SIIA screwed directly to bulkhead.

4. Wiring from bulkhead forward - SII separate harness for each side along wing sides. Connections of each front subharness made inside round plastic Lucas junction box. SIIA front harness part of main harness goes along right wing side and crosses over for left lights at the radiator bulkhead.

5. Scuttle vent openers - SII, screw type. SIIA lever type.

NOTE: horn button moved from stalk on upper steering shaft to steering wheel DURING SII production. Turn signal indicators changed from trafficators mounted on aux. instrument panel to arm type turn signal indicator mounted on upper steering wheel stalk DURING SII production. Parking and turn signal lenses changed from screw on type to rubber mount during SII products. So none of these can be used to tell a SII from a SIIA.

My guess is that if you have mostly SII parts then you can call it a late SII. If you have mostly SIIA parts you can call it a early IIA. When you are on the cusp it can easily be a SII, SIIA hybrid.

parrie
08-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the response guys (& girls). Here's what I have...engine is petrol; sn#26200100a; vent actuators are lever type; vent hinges spot welded; instrument shelf door limit tube welded; voltage regulator and fuse box bolted directly to bulkhead; wiring harnes on right side and crosses at radiator; horn on steering wheel; blinkers on steering column; parking and turn lenses are rubber mount. Considering all this I would say my original guess is correct...the ole girl is an early IIa, 1962 model year that was built in 1961...would you agree? It's really not a big deal one way or the other, it's just bugging the heck out of me...i gots to know!

Jim, I see that you are right down the road from me, I live in Old Town (Rover is currently located in Hermon). If you ever had the chance I'd welcome you to stop by and give me your overall opinion on the ole girl. I can be reached most anytime at 944-4597.

Thanks again all for your time, much appreciated.

I Leak Oil
08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
As been mentioned, best bet is to check the VIN. There's a site on the web that you can run it through. I'm sure someone can post it.

You can never be truely sure just by taking inventory of the trucks parts because they are so interchangeable and these things are 40-50+ years old so they've had quite a few items replaced. Many times the more rare SII items are just replaced with the quite common IIa.

My '65 IIa has a SII motor in it right now.

parrie
08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the input Leak Oil. As mentioned I did check the sn#, one site did specified it as a 1962 IIa the other site appeared to have all II and IIa lumped together in one list and only showed dates of manufacture. I've done a fair amount of research looking for some specific feature that distinguishes between the two but apparently there is none other than the serial number. Apparently the previous owner bought the truck under the pretense that it was built in 1961 therfore it was a 1961. From the beginning I figured it was a '62 IIa and was not deterred from buying it but being a rookie to these older series I was just looking for some specific feature to confirm.

stomper
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Since SII rigs aren't worth any more than a IIa, unless it is a perfect restoration, I wouldn't sweat it one way or another. It seems the only issue would be for registering it, and I doubt the DMV cares one way or the other.

scottlong
08-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Just to add to the confusion my IIa has the bolted on door check tubes, but the rest is as per TeriAnn I'm basing it being a IIa on the vin plate which has Series IIa painted (anodized?) on it and an online vin check. It was last on the road in '80 so the bulkhead and plate are likely original.