PDA

View Full Version : Training New Door Seals

mjones1700
08-09-2012, 10:33 AM
In my restoration I put in all new door seals in my III 109. The anterior (hinge side) seals bunch up and flip to the outside of the door on all four. I've tried putting a little black silicone inside them and then close all the doors tightly with the seals in their proper place until the silicone hardens and I'm not sure that's working (haven't tested all of them yet). Any other ideas?

rejeep
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
hinge not adjusted....
that should be the flat seal with a slight lip... only way for that lip to bend would be it getting struck from and angle...

(this of course if I understand your situation correctly)

mjones1700
08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
hinge not adjusted....
that should be the flat seal with a slight lip... only way for that lip to bend would be it getting struck from and angle...

(this of course if I understand your situation correctly)

I've worked a lot adjusting the hinges to have the door fit square and just the right space for the latch to work correctly and the typical spacing.

The seals are large V shaped wit on side flat with the metal stay and the other side curved and even larger than the flat (riveted) side. It is like the original but the curved side seems stiff and doesn't fold under the door edge the way the old, worn ones did. I can't imagine how adjusting the hinge at this point could help but I may be wrong.