PDA

View Full Version : Steering issues LR Series III Help needed

xrunnr
08-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I have almost finished restoring my 1974 LR Series III but I am have steering issues. If you are driving straight down the road (speed of 10mph and up) the truck will drift from one side of the road to the other with the steering wheel centered. I have adjusted the adjuster on the steering column so the steering wheel is pretty tight when turning it left or right but it didn't help the actually steering.
I have not driven too many non-power steering vehicles but it feels like this should not be happening this much. Driving straight down the road is a workout because you are constantly having to over correct by 1/2 a steering wheel turn to keep the truck centered on the road.

Is this normal? If not what areas can I look at to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

jac04
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
No, that is not normal. Not sure what you mean by adjuster on the steering column, but there is an adjuster on the steering box that can be adjusted to get rid of the on-center slop in the steering. Don't go too tight. Otherwise, make sure that all your tie rod ends are in good shape and properly seated/tightened. The other thing to check is the steering relay

I Leak Oil
08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Check tires, alignment, wheel bearings, lug nuts, swivel pins, tie rod ends (all 6), fluid levels in the relay and steering box, make sure all the bolts are tight on the steering arms (swivel, steering box and relay), tighten bolts that secure the relay, tighten bolts that secure the steering box to the bulkhead and chassis. This is all assuming the steering box is adjusted right and isn't worn out.

It's quite the contraption that rover came up with that's for sure....

xrunnr
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Sorry I meant the steering box adjuster not steering column, typing too fast and not reading what I wrote apparently.

Thanks for the check list! Looking through your list I can checked off everything but the steering relay. I never pulled it out to see if it would need work. Since everything else works correctly or is brand new that must be it. Looks like I will be rebuilding it soon!

Thanks for the help!

pjsank
08-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Mine got a lot better after filling the steering relay up. Yes, you need to remove two of the screws on top. The one facing out is easy, finding another one that will come out is the fun part. Need that second screw out to vent air, or it will take forever to get the oil in.

mjones1700
08-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Check tires, alignment, wheel bearings, lug nuts, swivel pins, tie rod ends (all 6), fluid levels in the relay and steering box, make sure all the bolts are tight on the steering arms (swivel, steering box and relay), tighten bolts that secure the relay, tighten bolts that secure the steering box to the bulkhead and chassis. This is all assuming the steering box is adjusted right and isn't worn out.

It's quite the contraption that rover came up with that's for sure....

I just want to comment that I had the exact same problem a few years ago. I watched carefully from down under (not Australia but beneath the rover) for where the give was. It was the steering box being loose on the chassis. I was able to fix that and the steering greatly improved.

bachelier
08-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I would say it is your alignment; your wheels are too open. Go to a a good shop and you won't regret!

LaneRover
08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I have had the drop arm been loose from the steering box and also the arm that comes off the relay. Each time I found it by having someone else move the steering wheel back and forth while I looked at all the connections.

Bud
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
You need to adjust the length of your Tie Rod (aka track rod).

rof
08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I just purchased an series three with the same issues. Thanks for the check list. I looked at all the linkage under the front and it all looks tight. I tried to move it and found no play at all. I guess next stop will be to check the steering box as soon as I get it home where I can start taking things apart to check.

mjones1700
09-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Now that I've been driving my landy (after a 2 1/2 year hiatus) I noticed some play still in the steering. I looked carefully at the whole system and the play seems to be in the first box inside the firewall, where the steering shaft is transferred into the arm. Is there an adjustment screw somewhere on that that could help or does the whole box need to be replaced?

mjones1700
10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Okay, no responses so far. However, my research as led me to the adjustment screw on the steering housing inside the wheel well. So, you suppose to loosen the other 24 mm nut then adjust by turning the inside square screw. However, after working for 2 hours, I can't get the other nut to loosen. It is relative clean, no rust etc. I would assume that you loosen the outer nut by turning it counter clockwise and the inner screw (once the outer one is loose) by turning it clockwise . . . correct? I'm about ready to get a blow torch.

Alk-3
10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
It's a bit like adjusting the tappets. The lock nut gets loosened, then the inner one can be turned. I can turn mine with my fingers once the lock nut is loose. They both get turned counter clockwise to loosen.