PDA

View Full Version : Considering a '73 ex-MOD Series truck with cracked head.

toothbob
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
For the last couple of years I've been keeping my eye out for a series rover. I've seemed to find really high dollar crazy nice trucks, and piles of rust oxide. Not a lot in the middle ground. So recently I found this ex-MOD truck for sale, which has had a restoration done about 10 years ago, but needs a bit of work. According to the seller, the frame is solid and the only thing wrong is the cracked head. He has had the truck sitting as a project and doesn't have the time to finish it up. I'd appreciate your thoughts? I think his price is a little high, but honestly I'm much more interested in fixing mechanical things like a new head or engine rebuild then tackling a rusted out frame or bulkhead.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3142690861.html
Appreciate your time!

parrie
08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Considering all the extras (bumper, winch, roll-cage) and assuming that the rest of the motor, transmission, running gear and chassis look as good as the rest of the pictures I'd say the price isn't too far off. My gut feeling would be that the entire motor will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Obviously the truck is not original but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's a pretty cool looking truck. Check with the owner to see who did the restoration...was it professional or amature. Based on the pictures it looks like it was restored pretty decent. If all things are good underneath repairing or replacing the head isn't too big of a deal. Of course there's a pretty big risk not being able to hear it run or spin around the block...it's a tough call, you could end up with a gem or you could end up w/ an inverted wallet.

mearstrae
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Price doen't seem too bad, if the frame and running gear aren't bugger'd. It does have some nice options and looks pretty cool. I'd be tempted to buy it, if I didn't already have a 109.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

toothbob
08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
So I went and looked at the truck in person. The owner had pictures of the restoration done in 2001 that showed in detail a very complete job. The truck looks very dry, original frame but looks in very good condition. The catch is the Chassis plate says petrol series III 109, but the engine is diesel. Owner thinks it's a 2.5L. I'm guessing someone converted it to a 2.5NA diesel? My question is how hard will it be to source parts for that motor? Cost of a head? I know Rovers North has the petrol head for about $500, but I'm guessing the diesel head will be more and harder to find?

Jim-ME
08-17-2012, 02:49 AM
If RN can't source you a head try RDS in the US. If that doesn't work out try LRSeries http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/12554/STC803-CYLINDER-HEAD-2-5L-DIESEL.html?search=2.5%20head&page=1. I have had very good luck dealing with these people.
Jim

SafeAirOne
08-17-2012, 06:00 AM
2.5D parts in general aren't hard to find inthe USA. A whole head may be a different story. Of course, you've really got to know what the engine actually is first. I tried to look at the original listing but Atlanda Craigslist says it has been removed by the author.

toothbob
08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
The engine is disassembled, so any suggestions on an easy way to ID the engine? There should be an engine code stamped on the block somewhere right? And the 2.25 has a timing chain whereas the 2.5 has a timing belt?
https://plus.google.com/photos/102449618445615761640/albums/5777620439881771137?authkey=CIC5rJmL6eW9Dg

o2batsea
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't spend any time or money on the 2.5 lump. Since the pathway has already been cleared for you, the best option is to install a 200 Tdi. I would say 300 tdi if you don't mind futzing with new chassis mounts, but really the 2 and 300 engines don't have enough differences to really warrant all the trouble a 300 would bring over what a 200 would, which is like zero at present for you. You'd have to do something with the turbo if it's a disco 200tdi, but that's been covered nine ways to Sunday. Anyway, 200tdi and a new chassis and off you go!

toothbob
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
New chassis, 200TDI certainly makes sense a lot of sense. But if the engine is otherwise in good shape, putting on a new head and driving it until I really get a feel for what I like and don't like makes sense too. This is my first series truck, instead of a complete teardown maybe just enjoy a little of the rover experience first.

ignotus
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Toothbob,

The motor is a 2.5 diesel. The injector pump is run off the timing belt. On the 2.25 it is in the distributor position. I'd be more concerned about the (in my opinion) sever frame rot as evidenced in pictures #2-3. This frame is in need of some fixing if not total replacement. It would not pass MOT inspection in the UK.
Heads and parts are available in the UK from salvage yards/parts suppliers, do a google search. Do your homework before buying.
Some things to think about; costs of new versus repair to chassis, costs of repair/replace head/motor. As Jim put out there are other reputable places in the US for parts. Our hosts do a fine job on most stuff but 2.5 diesel not so much.
One option used in the UK is to fit a 200TDI motor out of a Disco but just leave off the turbo making it a 200DI. The advantage being more hp than a 2.5(not by much) and a strong motor not overtaxed by a turbo. Bolts right in and not too strong for the series gearbox.
But in reality I think the chassis is the biggest problem. There have been many different motors put in Series Rovers, I have a friend with a 6L V8 in an 88 with a autobox. Others on this board have put in Mercedes diesels.

Once again Google is your friend!
Welcome to the forum! There is tons of good advice here!

gene

toothbob
08-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Once again Google is your friend!

gene

Words to live by.
I have actually been doing a lot of reading, but your answers have helped fill in the blanks or things that I might not have thought of off the bat.
No doubt the frame has some issues, the pictures I took were of the worst spots. I think it would make sense to go to a galvanized chassis. I really didn't find any other bad spots after spending some time banging around on the frame. Of course we know that a lot more is hiding then is usually seen. But when do you draw the line for patching vs swapping to a new frame?

A couple quick emails and I've found that I could get a used 2.5NAD long block for the same price as a rebuilt head ($1200). In my mind the advantage is it would be an easy swap in, since everything is set up for that engine. But, if you are already swapping an engine I can see going to something better.

Time for some more googling :)

o2batsea
08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
But when do you draw the line for patching vs swapping to a new frame?
When the frame looks like that.

I didn't recommend the 200tdi for no good reason. Your 2.5 NA is a weak, slow engine. It is unsafe to drive that truck in traffic because it is so awfully dreadfully slow. Did I mention it's slow? Well, if I didn't it's slow. Like you'll hate your truck for being so slow. Everyone will pass you and give you the finger regardless of how quaint your truck is.

Now take that 1200, add another 8 and you can have a ready to drop in 200tdi with virtually no mods save the intercooler and plumbing for that. That engine is fast. Good and fast, like easy 75mph fast. Tdi good. NA 2.5 bad.

However, the frame is shot, needs a new one. That is at minimum a 4000 fix without labor. You're going to find other stuff that will need attention when you do your frame swap, so count on another say 2-4 on top of all that. Probably more. I'm not pulling these numbers out of my butt. This is where you are on this vehicle.

Looked at the pics again. There's just so much wrongness there that it's hard to tell where to start. I would say that you should pass on this one and keep looking for one that has a better frame and an engine that works. Maybe even left hand drive. The only saving grace on this lemon is the roll cage.

SafeAirOne
08-17-2012, 10:42 PM
It is unsafe to drive that truck in traffic because it is so awfully dreadfully slow.

...[Sigh] :confused::confused::confused: