PDA

View Full Version : need help in identifying electrical bits - NAS Defender

jackscars
08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
The car/truck is one of the 500 North American Defenders. The general situation is that the owners step son replaced the steering column lock assembly and in doing so he has left a few electrical connections undone that I am supposed to deal with now that he has given up.
I just don’t want to connect the battery and let out smoke or put it all back together and have somethng not work.

Most everything looks to be connected and plugged in correctly, but there is a twin gang connector (red male and black female) that needs to find a home.

Another lost soul is a small white plastic bulb holder with a SQUARE base that looks like it would snap into a square receiver. Small bulb and small wires. one red and the other black.

Also, there is an odd electrical thingy swaying in the breeze that looks like a printed circuit board connected hard wired to four light gauge wires emerging from the harness. One wire is white with a black tracer, another is plain black, another is green with a black tracer and the fourth is solid green. The board is about an inch and a half long by about 3/4" wide and has what appears to be either a small round transistor or a diode sticking out of one surface. It apparently was originally wrapped in some sort of sticky fibrous insulation, but for the most part it is bare now.

There is a single red/white lead dangling, but I suspect that it might be an "extra" tap into the gauge illumination circuit as I see several such tap provisions on the wiring schematic here and there. The terminal is a female tube/bullet connector.

Another white with red tracer line is hanging out too. It has a female spade receptacle encased in white plastic..

The alternator looks a bit odd to me too. Although it has been on the car for a long time and everyone swears that it's present wiring is what it has always been, things just don't look right. What appears to be the heavy gauge brown wire that would be coming from the battery side of the starter solenoid has been clipped and taped off. In its place is a smaller gauge orange wire that runs over to a relay mounted on the fender apron. The other two wires, the energizer and the ignition warning circuit look to be original.

Photos are attached. If I can’t up load all seven on this thread I’ll add another thread to catch to remainder.

I realize that dealing with this by long distance is very difficult, but if you have any thoughts on any of this I would certainly welcome your comments.

Jack Austin www.jackscars.net