PDA

View Full Version : overheating issue

MerlynIIa
08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
This may be long and include irrelevant information but here goes. a week and a half ago my 2000 Disco II had a pulley failure (the small free wheeling one). my wife immediately pulled over as the belt went off and the dash lit up like Christmas. I replaced the small and big pulleys, as well as the tensioner and put on a new belt. Started up and ran great. Two days later, I notice steam coming out from under the hood, even though the temp gauge showed normal operating temp. Coolant was boiling in the overflow tank like a tea kettle. i let it cool a few minutes and took the cap off without a problem. i then started the car and tried to pour water back in the reservoir, thinking it would draw the water into the system. At this point, i thought i had not gotten enough water back in when the belt went the week before and the system was too low. The reservoir just kept madly bubbling, overflowing coolant and water out the top opening. i kept at this without much progress in it cooling, if fact the needle on the temp gauge pegged hot, so i shut it down. It this time i am thinking, a. air in the system or b. stuck thermostat or c. blown head gasket. after it cools for a good hour, i go back and start it up. i again start adding water and it takes a gallon and a half before it starts boiling over again, with the coolant madly bubbling in the reservoir.

other facts in the situation

When totally shut down, there were odd popping, buzzing noises and the radiator hose would shake (assume just boiling coolant?)

I did remove the air bleeder on the top of the hose when adding water and replace.

about 2000 miles ago the Disco was treated to a new radiator and all new hoses, via a complete hose kit from our host.

So, what gives, any ideas?
Thanks!

memoje
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
hi....after reading your post....I think that you have problems with the water pump...or as you recently change the tensioners and the belt.... check the belt path, double check that it is correctly installed as is should be, do you have the diagram?? or the manual??? .....if the belts is ok...then it probably is the water pump....

hope this can help...

ThePhotographer
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Are you only using water? Coolant works quite a bit better...Feel the top radiator hose after driving a while, is it very hard and extremely hot?

Sent from my iPhone

MerlynIIa
08-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Solved the problem. It was massive trapped air in the system. After thinking about it, i realized my last test was before the engine had totally cooled down. After a couple of days sitting, i added coolant and opened up the bleeder screw on top. it took about a reservoir and a half. started up and it ran cool. Added some more water and it released some air. went on a test drive and it released some more. Has been running cool every since, doing quite well. My Rover and I are both getting older. Seems we both are getting indigestion. :)