PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a 67 IIA NADA

ocsddep
08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I am almost done fixing/figuring out my 67 IIA. It runs great, but today I discovered that I have a lot of water leaks in it coming from everywhere, including the headliner seam between the rear seats and the cargo area. I will have to remove the safari roof to see what's there.

On another note, I am trying to figure out if it is normal for the parking lights to go off, once the headlights are turned on. Were they designed that way or is the wiring off?

Also, I can't seem to get the heat to work. I have a lot of air blowing out, but it is not warm. Any ideas? We just replaced the water pump and the truck doesn't overheat. Speaking of heater, I replaced the toggle switch and wired it the same as the old one. However, it seems both positions blow the same amount of air. I did notice that there are 2 unused tabs on the bottom of the switch.
Sorry for all the questions, but this forum has been my only resource to get this truck running right.
Thanks,

Ray

artpeck
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I was just reading the green bible on the series 1 and it notes that in north American trucks the marker lamps will go off when the headlights are turned on. Might be the same for you.

On the no heat, have you flushed the heater core? If not do so and see if water runs through cleanly. Uncouple the feed and return pipes to the heater matrix and run water through one side to the other with a hose. I used a small nozzle that fit into the hose and started with low pressure. Boat load of gunk came out. Almost solid crap. Heats well now. Also check that your heater valve off of the block is open when it is suppose to be. Just a few thoughts.

ocsddep
08-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the tip on the heater core. I will try that. I know right before I replaced the flexible air hose, there was a lot of debris there. I will run water through it and see if that helps.

SafeAirOne
08-11-2012, 08:04 AM
I was just reading the green bible on the series 1 and it notes that in north American trucks the marker lamps will go off when the headlights are turned on. Might be the same for you.

So you have no white lamps in the front nor red lamps/licnese plate light in the back when the headlights are on? Seems...abnormal--A completely dark back end unless you step on the brake/use turn signal...

...Or am I confused about what marker lights are. The side markers? I know the OP mentioned parking lights, so that's what I'm thinking the marker lights are.

Generally it's not the case where the parking lights go off with the headlight usage. you might check to see that the red wire is on the right post on the back of the light switch. It's a strange switch...

ocsddep
08-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I should have clarified. Only the front marker lights (clear lens) go off when the headlights come on. I thought it was strange, but maybe that is how they are wired.

carl k
08-11-2012, 10:56 PM
That is how the front parking lights are supposed to function on the early 2A's.

Carl K.