PDA

View Full Version : IIa Wing Cost???

parrie
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I met an old timer over the weekend who claims to have a matched set of NOS, unused IIa wings available. Said they have been in his garage collecting dust for the better part of 35 years. He told me to stop by and make him an offer which I plan to do but have no idea what would be a fair offer. Any thoughts on what they are worth assumming that they are in new, unused condition?

Jim-ME
08-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd say 200 to 300 ea. especially if they are the style without the headlights. Where are you in OT?
Jim

o2batsea
08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Personally I'd start at 100 each and see where it goes. If you do buy them would you sell them to me?

I Leak Oil
08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
They could be worth a whole bunch to a person who wants to restore a series IIA using all factory parts. The wings have been NLA from the factory for a while. So I guess the question is...how much are they worth to YOU!

thixon
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Understand before you read my answer to this that to me, there isn't a lot of difference between an unused rover body panel, and a good straight used panel. Both will probably require about the same amount of work (stripping, painting, nudging to fit right). So here goes.

Good used sets of wings regularly sell for the $200-$250 range on Ebay UK. It costs about $200-$250 or so to ship them over here, provided the seller is willing to carefully pack them in a box and handle the postage. That puts you in the ball park of $400 to $500.

If it were me, I'd offer him $150-$200 for both (O2BATSEA's in the ball park) or so just see if he jumps.

Arrington
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I have been gathering sheet metal for my 66 IIa for almost 2 years. I have bought a really nice set of original wings for mine that are complete and nice. Bought a set of nos outer skins for my wings, just in case. A set of nos doors and a very nice set of original doors. Plus I have bought 2 full sets of original quarter panels and a good rear tub assembly. With that being said and me being fairly new to the land rovers, nice nice sheet metal for these rovers are hard to find. Its all in what you want to spend for a nice part, plus shipping and hoping it gets here in good condition. I am really in to the american cars and trucks, hot rods and muscle cars and good sheetmetal is getting harder and harder to find. So offer what you are comfortable with and see what happens.

parrie
08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks again for the response guys. Hey Jim, yes, these are pre-bugeye style wings. I'm on south main street near Jackson's garage.

Think I'll offer $200 for the pair and see where it goes from there. Considering availabilty I'll probly go as high $500 for the pair if they are NIB. Obatsea, I'll most likely keep these for my project but may consider selling my existing wings when I make the swap. One existing wing is very good condition, other has some outer skin damage and the the PO drilled a hole for an antenna on the top (ouch).

o2batsea
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey Jim, yes, these are f**cking unobtanuim that ought to be placed in Yucca Mountain wings.

Fixed it for ya!

If you score these for a hundred bux I will have an aneurysm.

Donnie
08-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I understand about the headlites, but what other differences should one look for in series 2 vs 2a wings? I have a few sets, but they are used & on the shelf & not on trucks ?

slorocco
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I've seen multiple differences ranging from placement of the hole for the heater intake as well differring lighting configurations.

o2batsea
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Pretty sure all 2 and 2A wings had a bump for the single outer lamp on the front. Some came with a second hole inboard for the second lamp, but there was no bump for the second lamps. Wheel arches may have had air intake hole either right or left depending on steering wheel location, or no air intake at all. Wing tops may have hole for mirrors.
Late 2A wings had headlights in the wing front to comply with stupid US DOT regs. AFAIK they are the same as S3 wings.

parrie
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I beleive o2batsea is correct...my '62 IIa has the bump for the outer lamp, no bump for the inner lamp and no air intake. I have the mirrors but can't say for sure if these are factory holes or added at a later date.

Jim-ME
08-16-2012, 03:31 AM
We ought to meet up sometime. I'd be interested in seeing your Rover.
Jim

Apis Mellifera
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
This guy had some NOS IIa wings:
http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?12164-My-gain-is-everyone-s-gain&highlight=

I think he wanted at least $500 each for them. Apparently he got his feelings hurt while trying to sell some parts and hasn't been back. I'd imagine he still has the wings.

o2batsea
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
For Nate to lose his patience must have taken a lot of BS. Too bad. That guy is the definition of helpfulness.

parrie
08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Took a look at that previous thread started by Badger...wow, something sent him over the edge. Hopefully he really didn't send all that stuff to the scrap yard. I took a chance to resurrect the thread to see if he's still out there and if anything is left.

Apis Mellifera
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Without derailing the thread, I will say that I bought a part from him and he did not send what was in the advertised picture. I questioned it and he got cranky. Eventually he did send the missing part. I guess others had a similar experience; hence the little tantrum in his last post. That said, the wings were a rare find. They were crated and appeared to be in original as delivered condition. I don't know how you could get any better if you were doing a 100% resto. He just wanted too much for them. Otherwise I would have bought them too.

o2batsea
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Ah. It has all become perfectly clear to me now.

Donnie
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
We ought to meet up sometime. I'd be interested in seeing your Rover.
Jim

Jim, if you are ever passing thru Pa. You are welcome to stop by...Just let me know when you are coming..
My truck is nothing special........I'll explain
The truck was originally a Calif truck & to the best of my knowledge has never been driven in the snow or mud.
I use it for flea markets in fair weather & park it in the winter....I have other 4x4's for the salty roads here in Pa.
It has never been repainted, though most of the original blue has faded or is gone...I plan to keep it this way, because if I sell it, the buyer can see the lack of bondo.
The frame is 100% original & has most of the original paint still on it.
It is a 1967 RHD--109--3 door---European 6 cyl 2.6 single carb side draft with a Fairey OD..
I had the seats recovered with real leather as I did not like the OEM material
It is NOT pristine, but I like it the way it is...I have many vehicles & this is my flea mkt truck.
I buy & sell collectibles & it draws attention at the markets...I have a lot of parts & parts trucks, but lack the knowledge of the fine points...Like the bump on the turn signal mount.. If you are really serious PM me your email & I'll send you photos..Of my Rover or my Mercedes turbo diesel into a Ford van project. or my Rover pick up project......Both in process..& I am getting older & slowing down......regards, Donnie:thumb-up: