PDA

View Full Version : Plastic body panels. Really??

slorocco
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
So, here my question. Anyone use them? If so what are your thoughts on them? I've got a SerIII 88 in need of some body work due to a 16 year old driver running into the truck. Insurance is paying for it but the only thing they find available new is the ABS plastic ones offered by our hosts.

What would you do? Go with the plastic or find a used aluminium piece? This is for the left front wing skin.

I Leak Oil
08-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I bought an ABS left front outer wing from the UK to replace one that a tree jumped out in front of. It seems to be of decent quality for what it is. I was concerned about the paint adhesion in the cold weather but after talking to a paint guru the plasisizers (sp) that they can add will make it a non issue.
I couldn't bring myself to hang the plastic on it so I picked up a decent used, original piece that I have to do a little work to.
The dent is growing on me though.....

Have them give you the money and find a good used one.

disco2hse
08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Get a quote from a panel beater for full repair and omit specifics. Generally, insurers won't want to pay for second hand parts, but what they don't know won't hurt them.

CRiordan01
08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Is anyone making new aluminum panels for Series trucks? I would think there is a small, but eager, market for them...

ThePhotographer
08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
What panel are you looking for?

knac1234
08-15-2012, 10:48 AM
slorocco,

PM sent.
Julian

slorocco
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
What panel are you looking for?

Left side outer wing skin is what's needed. I do have a quote on a used birmabright part.

ThePhotographer
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Ahh I see. Unfortunately we'd only have the right hand side wing assembly, http://www.roversnorth.com/p-16538-wing-assm-rh-late-type-series-iia-iii.aspx
I've heard people liking the plastic pieces, but I can absolutely see why you wouldn't want to go plastic.

Les Parker
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
RN has tied to procure some hand-built alloy outer wing skins, though the price would have been in the $550.00 region.
Would folks buy them at this price?
The day will soon come when all the good, used front and rear outer panels have been recycled to extinction.

LaneRover
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I personally would have no problem using plastic wings on a series Rover that isn't meant to be a perfect restoration. I would potentially use them on a daily driver that is nice and pretty original - but not meant to be perfect. A beater - definitely!

disco2hse
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
What kind of plastic is it? Will it flex and buckle or bend and split. Can it be welded? Will it tear?

ThePhotographer
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I would not recommend holding a welding torch up to any plastic...

SafeAirOne
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I would not recommend holding a welding torch up to any plastic...

Plastic Welding (one method):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTi_XD5eZ4

disco2hse
08-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Indeed. Welding broken plastic items is a reasonably well known means of repair, especially on high density plastics used in the marine industry.

thixon
08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Les,
I assume the $550 is the price you'd charge? That means you found someone willing to hand build the panels for less than that number? I'm surprised by this. I wouldn't do it for that. In fact, before I built a buck and beat one out myself I'd probably (note the probably) be willing to pay that if I really needed one. If someone came to me asking for me to make one, I'd charge them much more than that personally.

RN has tied to procure some hand-built alloy outer wing skins, though the price would have been in the $550.00 region.
Would folks buy them at this price?
The day will soon come when all the good, used front and rear outer panels have been recycled to extinction.

ThePhotographer
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Plastic Welding (one method):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTi_XD5eZ4

Ahh, I thought you meant a real welder, like a tig welder. I've never seen plastic welded before.

Sent from my iPhone

I Leak Oil
08-16-2012, 04:55 AM
The fender I have is ABS plastic.

slorocco
08-16-2012, 08:20 AM
What kind of plastic is it? Will it flex and buckle or bend and split. Can it be welded? Will it tear?

Those are some key questions aren't they? The part our hosts advertise is "ABS plastic" If they are durable and will flex and recover rather than buckle and split, that could be a big advantage.

So... does anyone have any experience with how well these panels are holding up? How tolerant are they to damage as compared to the aluminium panels?

CRiordan01
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Les -
I would definitely consider buying hand built alloy wings for a price in the $550 range, particularly as clean examples of NOS disappear. I recently had repair work done and the insurance quote to strip my existing panels, properly repair and repaint was impressive. In my mind, someone needs to offer all of the body panels (and tubs). As I acquire additiaional new-to-me series rovers, I will be looking for alloy replacement parts versus plastic.

Just my two cents.

Les Parker
08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
RN appeciates the feed back.

We have had some prototypes here of the front outer wings, we are not entirely happy thus far.

If there is a market at this price (we all need to make a small profit), I'll persue and see how it all developes. Any presales?

:rolleyes:

disco2hse
08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I have long thought that plastic on LRs was a sensible move, as opposed to going fibreglass which quite a few do around here for competition trucks. Fibreglass is prone to splitting and cracking (especially at stress points) and is not easy to repair.

I do not bother to straighten lumps and bumps in the alloy because I am pretty sure they will reappear on the next off-road jaunt. Too much effort and the Birmabright gets work hardened, then breaks.

Polyethylene plastics have been shown to be robust, durable, chemical resistant (petroleum and oil based chemicals especially, as well as battery acid and brake/clutch fluids), and able to withstand the rigours of the harsh UV and salt laden marine environment. For example, there are these sites with those kinds of plastics:
http://www.polyboats.com/models/conventional-mono-hull/10-metre-work-boat-with-cabin
http://www.plasticfab.com.au/aquatruck.html
http://www.samboats.com/smartcms/default.asp?contentID=587

HDPE seems to be the preferred compound. The ABS plastics are not UV resistant (hence recalls have been made where they were used), they are not particularly chemical resistant. They are fairly resistant to impacts because they are elastic, and they are heat resistant.

SafeAirOne
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Fibreglass...is not easy to repair.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

disco2hse
08-16-2012, 03:56 PM

:p

SafeAirOne
08-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Fair enough.