PDA

View Full Version : Heater Question on NADA truck

ocsddep
08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I am getting a lot of air, but no hot air. Radiator is hot, all radiator hoses are hot. Valve is opening and closing (Cable is moving at least), but none of the heater hoses are hot. I ran water through the heater core and it came out the other end a bit dirty but not too bad. Truck is not overheating. Other than the valve, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

parrie
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
It may just be air-bound. Can you loosen a hose connection near the coil to verify that coolant is making it all the way to the coil? I've had this problem on several vehices, once the air is evactuated from the system all should be well. The old original heaters are by no means a dynamo so don't expect an overwhelming amount of heat but should be enough to melt butter!

ocsddep
08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I will try that.. thanks for your advice. I would hate to replace the valve. It seems they don't make it anymore, so I would have to send mine to get it rebuilt. Not sure what that would cost.

mearstrae
08-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Not sure what type of heater valve yours has. But on my Series III, I put in a generic Ford truck heater valve with cable control, it fit right up to the hoses and cable, and cost about $15.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

ocsddep
08-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I have a generic heater valve. I think I am going to do the same thing you did. I have a feeling that is what's wrong with it. Taking it to the mechanic on Mon. It is easier to replace it when it is up on a hoist. Thanks for the tip.

mearstrae
08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
6961 I hope this comes out, it's a pic of the valve I used. Better made than most. I made a pic but didn't record the part number...

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid109
'70 Rover 3500S